Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly1

Eze Has Been Uploaded ...

Guest Fly1

Well, for those inclined, my humble canard project has been uploaded and is currently available in the file library.Updates will be posted as available.Many thanks to all the individuals that have gotten me through the rough spots.Bob C.

>Well, for those inclined, my humble canard project has been >uploaded and is currently available in the file library. >Updates will be posted as available. >Many thanks to all the individuals that have gotten me >through the rough spots. Hey Bob! I got the 100th download... do I win a prize? :)I was wondering how to spend a Sunday afternoon... (I'm feeling lazy and not inspired enough to work on my own projects today...) :)

Guest Fly1

Well sir, I am honored. Thanks for your help during this project.Pleae let me know of any comments you may. I am going to take a little rest now (get back to my guitar). I have spent the majority of my Christmas vacation working on this. Boy is there a lot of work in getting a package ready for release. Also want to say thanks to Randy Smith for helping with a last minute problem. I appreciate it guy!Bob C.

Bob I just love the longeze and I evan done a few aerobatic moneuvers and it did them with eze you know what would be cool if one of the updates included a turbine version of your aircraft with teh walter 601 500hp turbine now that would be just awsome

Guest Fly1

Hmmmmmmm, very well could be. I am really glad you like it! It's a big relief!Bob C.

Bob I like the plane in the pic I don't think I can build own like that I am not a good designer but I am a good pilot

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Bob.I am downloading the EZ as I write, will let you know of my impressions. I flew the real one yesterday and today, and it still impresses me everytime I fly it how well this plane handles.Note: The EZ in the picture is powered by a liquid-fuel rocket, piloted by Dick Rutan, Burt's brother. To date there have not been any turbine EZs.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Bob.I flew the EZ on FS and really, really liked it. Of course I suppose you modeled this one with 160hp, which makes a big difference, since my Dad's has 115hp :-).Couple of things: The winglets are too small. The real ones are quite bigger than that. I could show you some pictures. And the winglet-style flare at the end of the canard (also existent on my Dad's canard) is less pronounced than that. Ah, and I am not sure about other Long EZs, this might be a personal preference, but the landing brake on the plane's belly on my Dad's EZ is much wider, so that it looks like a square.Again, I can provide you pictures of all of this, and even more stuff if you want. The hangar is close to my house, and I have a digital camera :-).

Ended up flying the EZ several hours yesterday.... What a beautiful bird!I hope you can swap the static wing bitmaps for real virtual wing views in the future...that'd be a huge plus, as one could enjoy the aircraft "back seat", and even turn around to view the spinning prop....Another great thought would be allowing the canopy to retract (or whatever it does on the EZ)I have a question about your EZ.... Knowing it's a homebuilt, and probably no two are alike, yours looks much nicer and more streamlined from the nose forward. I somewhat remember hearing this was a mod some builders did.... Most of the LongEZ's have nose cowling and fuse which is somewhat flat on the sides, like this (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/182313/L/), but I've seen a lot of subtle differences from builder to builder. Saw my first real "EZ" at Napa airport back in the 80's.... It looked and flew like a Rocket!Thanks for so many hours of fun.... Wish I had a real EZ.... Even Orlando would be only 8 hours away from my home in Phoenix...

Guest Fly1

You are very welcome. Yes, the goal for the future is to have a virtual cockpit, with opening canopy, but based on what developed I wanted to share it as is until I can work up those add-ons.Typically the Eze canopy has a piano hinge on the right side, and therefore swings open to that side. Other varieties of canards such as the Berkut have adopted the rear hinge, and even having separate shells for passenger and pilot, similar to the T-38.As for the fuselage, yes, the Eze's usually have the squared off - flat sides. Mod's have been adopted to lengthen and round the nose section, and this is where I departed most from the original design. I always thought an oval fuse with a slightly longer nose would look so much better. Therefore I started down that road, and then ended up trying to figure out how all the rest of the aircraft was going to adapt to the change, such as engine air intake, canopy, rear cowling, etc. As you can see, this model does have a bit of artistic license applied to the design. May not be functional in the real world, but makes for an appealing Flight Sim aircraft. The one thing I love the most about homebuilt's is the ability to customize certain aspects therefore making your aircraft unique.Thanks Again Sir!!Bob C.

I think the nose mod looks awesome, especially with the reflections on. Did you use GMAX for this aircraft? How in the heck did you keep it so fps friendly with reflections? And BTW, I'm working on a repaint. I'll post a pic this evening, and if you approve, I'll upload the textures to Avsim.... -John

Guest Fly1

Hey Fabio,Appreciate the comments. Actually, this whole project was eyeballed. I never could find good three view drawings, therefore just went with what looked decent. If you can get a set of three views and e-mail them to me it would be great.I fought back and forth with the size and shape of the winglets, and yes they used to be bigger. As for the up-swept canard tips, I've seen different approaches to these. I'm not really satisfied with the current one's and will redo them in the future.One complement I would like to give is to Brian Gladden for his FDE file. When trying to start this project I remembered I had Brian's Velocity, and started initial tests with his flight dynamics. They seemed to offer a very smooth flight, and were not as touchy as the actual controls. Having limited knowledge of the FDE's, I modified a little of the roll and pitch MOI, and was well impressed. Thinking I might want to share this project I asked Brian for permission to use his file and luckily he agreed.As mentioned, if you can e-mail a set of 3-views it would be appreciated.Regards!!Bob C.

Guest Fly1

Hey JohnYes it was made using Gmax. One thing tried to make sure of was to watch the poly count. If you check the Screen Shot Forum, I posted a series of shot's I ran last night. In the first shot, sitting beside me is my first design attempt, HomE-1. In this one I really wanted smooth curves on the wing's, cowling, etc. It turned out fairly nice, but when I went to work on the VC I began to notice the impact of the high number of poly's on the smoothnes of frame rate when in the virtual cockpit. It's still acceptable but not as smooth as I would like. (Like Glasssss)So on this design I paid attention to certain areas. Several areas still required dense patches, and I was very concerned how it would do on other machines. I am glad it is working well for you!!Shoot me an e-mail of the re-paint. Very intersted to see what you come up with.RegardsBob C.

Fabulous! Don't change a thing on external appearance or flight model. Looks great and flies well. Kudos!