Sign in to follow this  
PeterR

Afterburners

How to make afterburners ?In fact, there are some questions here:1. Is there a tag for a part so I can make it visible when afterburners are on and invisible when they are off ?2. Is there an fx effect that is enabled with afterburners ? If yes, can anybody send it to me (samdim@chez.com) or give a link ?3. Which section in aircraft.cfg is responsible for afterburners ? What is its format ? Or is it something in .air file ?Any ideas are welcomeThanks,Dimitri

For visual model afterburner flame I would probably go the following way:I would make the part that depicts the flame. Then make texture and "high visibility" night textures. Then I would tag it as lever_throttle0 (or 1 or 2 or whatever the number is). Then just make keyframe animation for it so that from keys 0-47 (for example) the flame is hiding inside the planes fuselage, and will slide visible at the keys 47-50 of the animation. That should make the flame show up only at almost full throttle. You can of course always play around with the numbers. Those numbers I just said are something that I think might be suitable, but you might want to get the flame visible earlier...Mikko http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/mmniemi/shots/banger.gif

Mikko Maliniemimmniemi@hotmail.com

Guest Ron Freimuth

>For visual model afterburner flame I would probably go the >following way: >>keys 0-47 (for example) the flame is hiding inside the >planes fuselage, and will slide visible at the keys 47-50 of >the animation. That should make the flame show up only at >almost full throttle. You can of course always play around >with the numbers. Those numbers I just said are something >that I think might be suitable, but you might want to get >the flame visible earlier... >>Mikko There is an FS Token variable that tells if the afterburner is On or Off. Usually it is only used with full throttle, otherwise the flame length could be based on the Throttle % or Thrust tokens. Maybe the last 10% of the Throttle variable. Ron

Full throttle doesn't mean the afterburners are on. Full throttle is F4, afterburners are Shift+F4. I asked this question because I am working on two planes that have an additional jet engine used only at take-off (An-71 and An-24RV). I think afterburners suit well to emulate a take-off accelerator. Still no idea about fx effects ?

If there is no need to create such a thing wich would reflect changes on a 3D model (ie opening nozzles, inlets, etc.), then it is possible to create a effect of smoke (for instance), or flames, or both with the use of hidden gauge on the panel which will catch shift+F4 pressed and will start the effect. This effect could be used instead of logo light (for example) - so gauge lits on logo lighting - but instead you will see smoke trails behind the taking-off craft...Is it possible?

Here is simple XML gauge for toggle strobes(for beacon change STROBES to BEACON)(A:TURB ENG1 AFTERBURNER,bool) if{ 1 (>K:STROBES_ON) } els{ (>K:STROBES_OFF) }And for other lights(this is for recognition light). In FSDS2 this could be used to show/hide parts. (A:TURB ENG1 AFTERBURNER,bool) if{ 1 (>K:TOGGLE_RECOGNITION_LIGHTS) } (A:LIGHT RECOGNITION,number) 0 > if{ (>K:TOGGLE_RECOGNITION_LIGHTS) }

Yes, an FX file could be used for afterburner but FS doesn't have a "slot" for assigning such an effect. You'd have to have a gauge to trigger it. That's what we did for the animated exhaust effect on the Duck Design Group's Grumman Duck.Also, the FX system is rather limited especially when it comes to keeping an effect oriented relative to the plane instead of the ground. In other words, an effect will either always face the user or always orient relative to the ground, not the plane.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table