Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

FSDS 2 - Different methods for making windows?

I am wondering what methods folks are using to create transparent windows. I've read some of the tutorials, and they seem to dive into some pretty complicated techniques. Any thoughts on the general methods available, and the +'s and -'s of them?Regards,John

Guest jlwoodward

I also use Dave's method. It works for windows, doors, wheel wells, scoops, etc. In some areas I have to add points to define the shape. I select 2 points on the side of a polygon and then click on add point. If the point can then be moved, great, but if it will change the shape too much I just keep selecting and adding points in between until one of them is in the right place. Eventually you delete all the polygons where the opening should be and delete unused points, and then build up the opening with new polygons.I found on my second model that you can use a coarse mesh for the fuselage and use as many points as you need to define the shape of the opening. That results in a finer mesh around the opening. Use triangular polygons to transition between the coarse and fine meshes.As it turns out, it is not hard, just time consuming.John Woodward

>I also use Dave's method. It works for windows, doors, wheel >wells, scoops, etc. In some areas I have to add points to >define the shape. >>I select 2 points on the side of a polygon and then click on >add point. If the point can then be moved, great, but if it >will change the shape too much I just keep selecting and This is exactly what I do too. Dave has plenty of helpful tutorials at his site. The older ones for FSDS 1.X are still relevant in many cases.The adding-a-point method isn't described there though (I think...), and I wasn't even aware of this feature until a short while ago. It is very useful for rounding off windows or recessed panels and such.- Martin