Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

Working Weather radar?

Is there a freeware weather radar for Fs2002 panels?I ahev downloaded everyone I could find, and they all are static.ThanksAl

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Al-the simple reason this is not possible is that the FS SDK does not return cloud positioning to the programmer.We'll wait to see if the next FS will do this - we all hope and pray that it does ;-).Cheers,

Hey Al.Like Lefteris mentioned, MSFS's engine does not "know" what the positions of the clouds is, because they are sort of like particles in a 3d animation program (hoping you have some experence in modelling so you can understand this metaphor ;-)), they are randomly generated and the program doesn't really care where they show up. I could be wrong, but that's what I think happens.You are right in looking for one, since not long ago people started figuring out how to make what they call "working" weather radars. Well, they are definetelly not static, and definetelly not the same scrolling bitmap, but they are also definetelly not showing you the positiong of rain clouds, like real radar.What they are doing is using FSUIPC, which is an add-on module for FS that reads many of the core variables and information, to see at what levels FS is generating clouds, and at what percentage (2/8, for a light cover, or 8/8, for example, to form overcast layers), and then they generate some radar looking echos according to this percentage. So while this is not the correct radar image you should see when compared to the outside clouds, it is definetelly a better way of doing it than static bitmaps, and pretty much all that can be done for now.In FS2004, as we've seen, FS has upgraded the wx engine, particularly clouds, which are now dynamic, more closely emulating the real thing, so we could expect, realistically, that the program will now know not only the position, but the maturity (forming/raining/dissipating) of these clouds. If so, we are in for a great race to see who comes up with the first-ever working FS radar. If not, then at least we get better looking clouds ;-).