September 12Sep 12 I find the 12.4.4 changes to haze rather interesting when I think back to the discussions relating to the topic on another forum about six months ago.A lot of us were complaining that XP12 was simply far too hazy, even in good weather. The response from some of the more senior and outspoken voices was basically that this was realistic and that perhaps we just didn't understand what real aviation looked like.I never bought that argument. I said so on a popular forum fairly forcefully at the time, and let's just say the discussion eventually resulted in my forum participation being temporarily reconsidered. 😄Then AutoHaze came along. I installed it and the difference was obvious. For me, it made XP12 look considerably more realistic, without turning it into some crystal-clear MSFS postcard.Now look at 12.4.4.The excessive haze has disappeared, and I have reluctantly removed AutoHaze, as the new XP12 haze fix is exactly the same as using Autohaze. More interestingly, LR says the new system now keeps haze, mist and fog in a more realistically modelled surface layer rather than carrying it upwards through the old fixed altitude range.That sounds remarkably similar to the problem AutoHaze was addressing.I'm not suggesting anything improper happened, or that anyone was deliberately wrong. Two developers can obviously arrive at similar solutions independently.But it does make me wonder about those old discussions.Perhaps the lesson is that even very experienced pilots, developers, moderators or long-standing community voices aren't necessarily right about how a particular simulator system is behaving. Sometimes the users saying “this doesn't look right” are worth listening to.And in this case, it seems they may have had a point.
September 13Sep 13 On 9/12/2026 at 10:20 AM, Davehibes said:LR says the new system now keeps haze, mist and fog in a more realistically modelled surface layer rather than carrying it upwards through the old fixed altitude range.I can't se this until I return from holiday - please, please tell me you can see the haze layer beneath you once you climb into clearer air. Simulating climbing out of and descending into clear air is an improvement, it is really annoying when you look down and the haze has gone! CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz GPU GEFORCE RTX 4090 Monitor AOC AGON AG352UCG UltraWide G-Sync @ 3440x1440 Internal Storage 1TB NVMe PCIe SSD External Storage Three 4Tb HDs
Create an account or sign in to comment