Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

Disabling Dynamic Shine

Guest paulheaton

Can anybody please advise.Can Dynamic shine on Aircraft models that have dynamic shine be disabled.I would like to repaint with a Matt livery but cannot manipulate the image do this.I thought it was to do with the Alpha so played around alot but no change.The image is in 32bit 888-8 format.Please help!!!!!Kind RegardsPaul

Dynamic shine can't be disabled--it is built into the .mdl file. Only the degree of reflection or transparency can be controlled through the alpha channel, if the designer set up their model that way.-John

Guest paulheaton

Not what I wanted to hear but thanks anyway John

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Vin.I think Paul does not have access to the gmax file, just the finished plane, and he wants to get rid of the dynamic shine of that model.

>not entirely true. By setting the specular intensity in gmax>and using middleman, the dynamic shine can be altered.It does help to read the question asked before replying... :)Repainters don't normally have access to the original GMax model, so the point is moot.BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://mtco.com/~rsam/fartslogo.jpg

Guest paulheaton

Thanks anyway guys :)Paul

hi Paul,..no expert or anything with repaints....done a few...and know my photoshop alittle.....you could convert your skin to DXT3 without an alpha channel present...i believe that will give you a matt finishin...not sure i remember trying this.....but in any case you can surely mask your alpha channel with white all white and thus have no reflection at all....or shall we say a Matt finishin.....i hope these help....which app do you use to repaint with?..have good control of alpha channels?

"..you could convert your skin to DXT3 without an alpha channel present...i believe that will give you a matt finishin...not sure i remember trying this..."Again, this only would remove reflections--not dynamic shine. Dynamic shine is embedded within the model itself--in fact, you can see it without reflections being enabled in FS2002. One example of an aircraft with such dynamic shine is FFX's 737....another is my own Microlight.-John

Guest paulheaton

Yes,I did play with the Alpha Channel so it was completely white (256) and contrast but when in FS2002 the shine was still there.ThanksPaul

Guest Fabio Miguez

But Paul,This question just came to my mind. Why do you wanna get rid of dynamic shine? The only reason I see would be to make a military paintjob, since those are usually flat, not glossy. Or maybe I am missing something...?

Guest paulheaton

Fabio,Your absolutely right.It is a military aircraft and I wanted a matt finish.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Paul.In that case, the best (and really only) thing to do is to contact the author and request a dynamic-shine-free version...