Sign in to follow this  
vscimone

Fuselage Thickness, Doors, and Shadows???

Hi Everyone. I have a question about strange shadow effects on my model. I am using FSDS2 to build this aircraft and I am going to include opening doors, etc on it. What I did was cut the doors from the fuselage and then Copied the door, pasted it and moved the second copy a little towards the center of the fuselage. Then I joined the two doors and made "fill" polygons to give the door a thickness to it. I repeated this operation for the fuselage around the doors. Now after all is said and done and I have joined everything together and snapped it to scale I have strange shadows on and around the door. If I split the extra "fill" polygons away as a separate part the shadows disappear. Is there a way around this where you don't have to keep parts separate but you don't have the weird shadows? I assume that if you animate a part then you have to tag the "fill" part to be a child part and follow it. Anybody have any info or experience with this? Thanks in advance.Here is the shadow on the door to the right....and one without...

This is all about smoothing groups. What is happening is that the inside edges of the door have the same smoothing ID number as the fuselage around the door. You can do 2 things: 1) add a smooth modifier to your fuselage and check auto smooth and adjust the threshold... or 2) select the polygons on the inside edge of the door, and in the EDIT MESH>polygon rollout, go to smoothing groups (a set of numbered buttons) and apply a different smoothing ID number to it.VinPMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.vinscimone.com/dancnkid.gif

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg