Sign in to follow this  

"animation in C" - or, "Guess who's stuck again?"

>I cannot really believe that XML will support GDI functions.>Can you prove it or did you only hear this from "somewhere"?>>Only one small thing, Bill: my name is written without a>second "l", only Marcel ;-)I should think that the lack of .gau files in the gauges folder is a pretty good indication of the gauge types used. This was reported by a number of folks with press copies.BTW, I finally managed to lick the animation problem I was having, due in no small part to your replies in the support forum... :)Once I got off my duff and started thinking like a programmer again, I went back to square one and penciled out a flowchart of the problem on real paper. :)I should be ashamed of myself for violating the most basic "rule" I hammered into all of my students in the freshman "Intro. to Computing" classes at UF, Gainesville many years ago:"If you cannot solve the problem yourself with pencil, paper and your own intelligence, do not expect become a programmer, much less pass this class!"To further reinforce this dictum, none of the students were allowed to touch a keypunch machine or the mainframe until they'd solved this problem:"At its most basic level, a computer only 'knows' one mathematical operation, viz. either addition or subtraction. All other math operations depend on machine level programs that define the processes. For this excercise, I will allow you to assume that the four basic operators are present: addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; in addition, you may assume that the three comparative operators are available: greater than, less than and equals.Outline the steps necessary and flowchart the process needed to derive the square root of any positive integer to six decimal places using the minimum number of discrete steps."A few of the students would have a workable solution within hours. Most of them took at least a week, and a few never managed to solve the problem at all, but wound up dropping the class to take up something less intellectually challenging... :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Hi, Bill.>It would be nice if MS would redo the .CAB to make it password protected, just for the sake of security

>Hi Bill,>>I cannot really believe that XML will support GDI functions.>Can you prove it or did you only hear this from "somewhere"?Hi again, Marcel <= note only one "L" this time! :)I suspect that MSFS is now using a variant of VML - Vector Markup Language, which is a superset of XML itself. Remember when I said that XML and LISP shared the characteristics of "self-definition?" Most people are completely unaware that HTML is simply another superset of XML. :)As far as API interaction, it is a simple matter to utilize the SAX (Simple API for XML), which again is a superset of XML: a "module" of code that allows for access to all WIN APIs. Of course, SAX has been ported into multiple languages, including C, and C++ among others. It was originally written to support Java based XML web applications to facilitate realtime document/data I/O.For more information and specifications for VML, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/.../data/vmlom.aspFor more information about practicing safe SAX, see:http://www.saxproject.org/BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg