Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarkMcCoy

Airliners.net "AirNikon" (Mickey Bednar) -- In Remembrance

Another bird fell from our small aviation community around this time last year, and this one was an eagle. Mickey Bednar, who went by the nickname "AirNikon" passed away in November of 2006, and it's been a year since his passing. If you've ever visited Airliners.net to peruse the latest photographs, chances are you've seen many of Mickey's photos. He ended his long-time support of our hobby with a monstrous 9,999 photos uploaded (and many more which were not), taking care to make sure his photographs captured registrations numbers and side angles for us flight simmers seeking good liveries for repainting.I'd like to take just a brief moment and say thanks again to Mickey wherever he is now, for supporting our community even long before the internet pushed his name into the limelight. Like the many who have gone before us, Mickey is yet another firm pillar upon which we continue to build this fantastic community.We miss you, Mick. Godspeed, and put in a word for better framerates for us, ok?Here's the message posted on A.net last year just one week over a year ago:

Photographers,I regret having to inform you that Mickey Bednar, known as AirNikon on Airliners.net, passed away last week. Mike was part of our Head Screener crew and the photographer on Airliners.net with the most photos accepted - 9,999 of them.Mike was one of the first aviation photographers I came in contact with back in 1995 or 96 before I started Airliners.net. Back then, I ran a small site called "Pictures of modern airliners" where I collected photos of airliners that I found throughout the web. As a result of getting contacted by Mike and a handful of other photographers, I started a section called "Your Photos" where photographers could send in their own work to be displayed on the site. This section is what later evolved into Airliners.net. Mickey Bednar's amazing photography and enthusiasm for the hobby played an important part in growing Airliners.net during those early years. If you search through the photo database you will find many photos by Mike among the first hundreds of photos accepted to Airliners.net.Mickey Bednar stayed loyal to Airliners.net through all these years and was a valuable support in times of turmoil. I remember the supportive emails he sent when things were tough. Here's an example from back in 2000 when the critique on upload standards was overwhelming. His "pep talk" really meant a lot to me.It's a big loss for Airliners.net and a big loss for the aviation photography community.Johan
Example one from the above quote: http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/texas/flyg/flyg.htmlExample two from the above quote: http://www.airliners.net/airnikon.txt

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!