Sign in to follow this  

Does FS9 allow XML to access and play sounds? (unlike in FS2002)

Guest sphing

Does FS9 allow XML to access and play sounds? (unlike in FS2002)In FS2002 the only way to do this was to use the "afterburner" commands and sub-stitute your own wav files.Has this changed in FS9?Thanks,John

I doubt the sound capabilities (none) of XML have changed. But I may be wrong. ;-)

Haven't tried this fully yet, but it might just work?: When I added the barn effect as a smoke effect, or made a custom effect using the same sound calls, I was able to trigger the barn sound at will. Try replacing the barn sound with your own wave. Unfortunately the barn sound seems hardcoded in the sound.dll, unfortunately you can only have a single sound, and unfortunately you can no longer add a valid smokesystem.But, for the C++ oriented fellows out there: Have anyone tried adding soundtrigger support for a builtin variable that might be used on most aircraft, but is seldom used? The EGT Bug parameter could be such an event, controlling different aspects of the sound (trigger on, off, multiple sounds, loops, volume, pitch, you name it) by one single variable? Either a bitwise operation, or a number assigned to do each job? Does anyone have the skill to try this out?It puzzles me that a lot of gauges seem to have their own click sounds in FS9 (check out the number of click#.wav files in the FS hierarchy), but that MS have given us (or themselves) no way of playing these files. This really annoys me. Although the "normal" way of thinking about sounds, is to add click sounds, it can also be used for audio warnings or enviromental soundeffects that might be suitable for that aircraft; ice smashing into the fuselage on a twin when prop deice is on in icing conditions, comes to mind (I've done this before, and now I'm stuck!)... Arrrggghhh...