Sign in to follow this  
Guest grb

Can someone help me with this XMS gauge problem?

I just spent the evening poking at this very problem. Was not able to make a compiled C gauge read a variable created in an XML gauge. Given that my knowlege of both C and XML is quite limited, I don't imagine I have proved very much.The use of defined EventID's avoids this problem, but of course limits the number of choices available. I am confident that one could use events other than the afterburners for the purposes of playing XML triggered sounds. The only real reason to do so however would be if one required the afterburners events to actually control afterburners. In such a case, perhaps one could use the cowl flaps events for XML sounds. Don't know if there are many aircraft fitted with both afterburners and cowl flaps :-)Doug

Guest grb

Doug,Here is the rundown on why I was limited to using K:TOGGLE_AFTERBURNER(X) in the sonic_bang gauge:In the original sonic_bang package one got the XML gauge, a wav file called whm2.wav and XMLSoundv2.gau. Obviouse to you, one puts both in the panel.cfg file. OK. When I fired up the simulator and loaded the plane....I got error message indicating the FS2K2 could not load third party software! So I could not use the XMLSoundv2.gua.NOTE: In the original sonic_bang.xml the K event was for:K:MAGNETO4_RIGHTSo...........when mach 1 is exceed, the XMLSoundv2.gau would play the whm7.wav file ( WHICH WAS THE BOOM SOUND).OK. Now since I could not use the XMLSoundv2.gau which plays the whm7.wav file I had to find a XMLSound.gau program that would playanother sound. I found a copy of the original XMLSound.gau Bill Morad had created. The XMLSound.gau documentation indicated that it cantrigger on the K:KEY_TOGGLE_AFTERBURNER1,2,3,4 Events. So what I did was.........replaced the XMLSoundv2.gau in my panel with the XMLSound.gau ..........and copied the four wav files from the XMLSound.gau package to my FS2K2Sound directory.K:KEY_TOGGLE_AFTERBURNER1 plays whm-sound1.wav 2 plays whm-sound2.wav etc..So I then made a copy of the whm-sound.wav file and replaced it withthe whm7.wav file.And as readers see in the example in this thread, I put the AFTERBURNER4 Event in the code.Now............why this long winded disertation on what I did to get the boom sound to work?Well, I agree exactly with your sentiments regarding the availabilityof Aircraft functional events such as gears/flaps,cowls etc.., as theONLY alternatives to triggering different sounds or for that matterother things such as popping up text filled menus onto the sim screen etc..It appears that we are going to be very limited in what we can do with XML or for that matter C level gauge development where one requires some action to be taken based on what K event is triggered (activated)........not sure how to word it.Another problem I found was: Though the sonic_bang works for two aircraft I tried it on........Dean Reamer's F18 Hornet, and the newfancy T38 Talon (one with the six paint variants, and the really nice panel etc.).................the T38 no longer allows me to activate the AfterBurner controls when I am at full throttle ............I ONLY GET A DING DONG SOUND....which is one of four WAV files used by the XMLSound.gau.____________________________________________________So this leads me to wonder just how usefull all this stuff is going to be in the long run. I wonder for instance ....just using the sonic bang example:How on earth could I ever program an XML gauge or for that matter a C designed gauge to:Upon reaching MACH 1 do the following:1) make a low level...muffled thump inside the cockpit2) make a aircraft....(at least the cockpit view...jitter slightlyAnd if the aircraft is an AI aircraft.... have it produce the boom sound, throw off a sonic blast of air....the shock cone off the back of the plane more or less.Doesn't seem like one can do these things, based on what I said above.There simply would not be enough Aircraft Events that one could use withing the XML coding simultaneously or quickly in series to trigger a number of RESULTANT VISUAL/AUDIBLE actions.This is where I am being lead at present to believe. In which case,I may not put in endless hours attempting to learn how to program gauges with special resultant events attached to them. I just seems like what I am seeing are a lot of novel, yes some very usefullXML and C designed guages being put together for us all to use, Push Back/Taxi Gauges are usefull and pretty neat, etc., but are we allgoing to run out of things that can be made based on the view Event ID's available for use?Whew..............no need to respond unless anyone is on the same wave length here. Just voicing what I think may hold some truth.I responded in this way........based on what Doug commented on.It sounds like he also is concerned with the lack of Event ID's one can use.Lastly, OK, lets say we can use the cowl Events, who is going to create a XMLSound.gau that will trigger a number of different wav files for various positions that cowl could be set for thereby allowing us to use a number of different wav files (where we overwrite them with the kind of sound we want produced for a given Event/Logic calculation. Lots of gotchas here...cheers all,George