Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

C182 hobbs counter in FS9, possible with xml?

Guest Karl R Pettersen

HiDoes anyone know how to make a similar RPM gauge to that of the default C182S (also C172SP btw), which has a _working_ Hobbs counter that reads it's current value from disk and writes when aircraft is changed?The value gets read from the file ...Application DataMicrosoftFS9AIRCRAFTc182state.CFG, but what parameter in xml reads this? I've found a parameter named "GENERAL ENG ELAPSED TIME", but I'm not getting any data from it?Any suggestion, or is this a C++ thing only?

Guest ptwaugh

This is a C only thing. Can't read/write files in XML gauges.

Guest Karl R Pettersen

The files are actually written by FS itself, no matter what aircraft is used. I was hoping that some variable allowed indirect reading (a variable contains this information) of this.Anyone had success with this yet? (read: bump :))

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Does anyone know how to make a similar RPM gauge to that of>the default C182S (also C172SP btw), which has a _working_>Hobbs counter that reads it's current value from disk and>writes when aircraft is changed?>>The value gets read from the file ...Application>DataMicrosoftFS9AIRCRAFTc182state.CFG, but what parameter>in xml reads this? I've found a parameter named "GENERAL ENG>ELAPSED TIME", but I'm not getting any data from it?>>Any suggestion, or is this a C++ thing only? Must be, the only 'elapsed' times I found in Parameters.txt are like this:"RECIP ENG1 EMERGENCY BOOST ELAPSED TIME" But, who knows what FS9 XML might allow. Ron

Guest Karl R Pettersen

YES! Finally! I can't believe I didn't think about this in the first place, but I noticed that the parameter I tried was *not* present in the old Arnes list of FS2002 variables. That (and another recent thread about C Hobbs meters) led me to believe that the parameter was nwe to FS9. Examining the new FS9 gauges, again, this time with my eyes open, I realized I had forgotten two tiny little characters. If I use the parameter like:(A:GENERAL ENG ELAPSED TIME:1,hours) it works!!! Yipiie :)Funny thing is, I already used this approach with station weights with success. Moral. If any *new* looking variable doesn't have a needed designator, chances are you can put a ":n" n begin a number, in it and try again. Maybe... Just maybe... :)Yeez, 160+ hours in the Baron alone - no, not counting two engines :D

Guest bartels

Indeed there are some (a olt of) new variables that are easily expandable with the :1,:2 ... trick. If I recall that right not necessarily restricted to 4 possibilities, where it makes sense (not engines you can't have more then four).Arne Bartels

Hi,I use it for the ADF needles, works ok: (A:ADF Radial:1,radians) etc.Btw. I Logged 347 houres with the Hobbs;347 Right engine and 324 Left engine.So i think my plane (767-300ER) is ready for ETOPS.Jan"Procul Negotiis"