Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Window overlay sequence?

Hi all,I'm trying to figure out why some panel windows overlay others and why some not. Is it caused by the {window00, 01, etc} order, by the ident or something else (at random ;-) )?I would like to control the way panel windows overlay others.There must be somekind of logic in it, but I haven't figured it out.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest JeanLuc_

The logic is simple: they stack over the other in their order of appearance. So the first to be opened is the first to be covered by others. the second to be opened will always be over the first to be opened. etc...

Hi Jean-Luc,Are you sure about that?I have a main window(00) and a main-right(01) window which are always visible. This main-right window overlays the main window which it should.However when I open the overhead window(06), window01 is on top of the overhead window (which is opened later). This is kinda weird.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I came here to post the same Q as Egbert ... but I'm still lost, as that's not so, Jean-Luc, with a particular panel I'm working on.Some windows open behind, some in front, of others, irrespective of order of opening. Is it also something to do with them having to have a background bitmap, perhaps? Or if they are opened for a second time within a session, they then sit behind what was opened last?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest JeanLuc_

I'm 99% sure for any window the user opens (the windows that are visible=0 when loading the aircraft, which the user opens afterward).If you want fine control of window stacking, like the Meridian is doing for the (main + right overlay + yoke over the two) * 2 (VFR and IFR view), you will have to let's say, make the gauges act on behalf of the user for opening and closing the panels...

Well, Jean-Luc, you may well be right in what you say; but after hours of messing about tonight I have determined, after a bit of trial and error, that when I lowered to ID number of the pop up windows that were giving me trouble, they came forward and now all is well. Taking one from 250 to 25, for example, and another from 175 to 115 worked for me. So maybe there is something in the ID numbering. I could find nothing in the MS SDK on this matter.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest JeanLuc_

I admit I've not paied attention to this but as a matter of fact, in the Meridian, the Window ident # are also ordered with the ident # increasing toward the topmost windows!the SDK does not document this and I suspect there is no control over it for this reason. Another way you can explore, is that every window in the panel is a Windows window... :-)Without this complexity, the Meridian only uses the SDK to properly stack and manage the overlays and the popups. This is neat in that for example with another view challenged aircraft like a famous C177 which has maybe a dozen windows, the user has to manually toggle the yoke window for the left or the right seat view, whereas in the Meridian, it is handled properly and automatically for the user to maintain visual consistency. Definitely a "must have" feature for complex panels in my opinion.Egbert, are you working on an aircraft panel?Hope this helps!

Hi Mark,>> but after hours of messing about tonight.... ;) It's all clear to me now.Take care,Egbert

Guest Skymed

So THATS what does it?Cool, thanks for figuring this out, as I have been wondering that myself.Steve