Sign in to follow this  
Guest mdavis

Panel window priorities

I will apologize in advance for a simple question, but I am not a panel guru.I am doing some FS2004 mods on the Bae146 panel by Matthew Liebrecht (hope I spelled that right) from his FS2002 version. His "main" panel is broken into two sections, the centerpost with a few overhead switches, and the lower main panel. However the popup overhead panel shows hidden behind the two "main" panel sections rather than overlaying them when it is brought up. I can undock that overhead panel window to bring it on top to gain access to the switches, or I can hide the main panel sections to expose it, but I can't figure out why it won't overlay the 2 main panel windows. [Window Titles]Window00=Main Panel-1Window01=Main Panel-2window02=Overhead PanelWindow03=AnnunciatorWindow04=Throttle QuadrantWindow05=GPSWhat am I missing?MDavis

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I have done some experiments in FS2000, 2002 and 2004 with the same panel, and must conclude that the window-priority behaviour is different in each FS version :-(FS2000======The window-prioriy is determined by the order in which the windows are defined in the panel.cfg: higher window numbers have higher priority (so window00 always appears underneith window01, etc).FS2002======The window-priority is determined by the order in which the windows are made visible for the **first** time after the panel is loaded, independantly of the used Ident= or the window** position in the panel.cfg: the (initially) last opened window always sits on top.FS2004======For user-defined IDENT values (e.g. > 10000) the behaviour is the same as for FS2002. However, for MS-defined IDENTs the panelwindow priority now seems to be dependant on the IDENT value.E.g. a panelwindow with IDENT=GPS_PANEL always sits on top of window with IDENT=OVERHEAD_PANEL, independant of the Windownumber AND the order in which the panelwindows are first opened.This "conclusion" is only based on my observation as far as I can test it, so it might even be a little different.Unfortunately, MS refuses to document this kind of stuff properly, and, although the FS2004 PanelSDK is not released yet, the quality of the other just-released SDKs is not very encouraging (to put it VERY mildly !!).Rob

Thank you, Rob. I'll do some checking. I believe this was originally an FS98 panel that was updated to FS2002 which I am trying to use and modify for FS2004. Ident numbers are less than 10000, but perhaps renaming the overhead panel will prioritize it to display on top of the main panel. I did not try altering the order in which I opened the panels to see if that helps. As an old windows user, I simply assumed (incorrectly of course) that windows cascaded with newer windows on top.MDavis

Hi MDavis,Please take a look at my Homepage www.baepanelproject.com. There you find some descriptions on the BAe 146 and ARJ sites of how to make both FS2002 panels fully FS2004 compatible. Of course also a description of how to bring the Overhead panel in front of the Main panel. However the BAe 146 and ARJ panels will be completely reworked at the moment (I think they are ready in about 6 - 8 weeks maybe earlier). I've added two screenshots of the new 146 panel and you will find also a listing of the new features for version 3 (BAe 146) and version 4 (ARJ) on the website.Best RegardsMatthias

Thank you, Matthias! Excellent panel. The problem was taken care of by your update. The answer seems to be that the respective panel and related icons are pre-determined by FS9 for their overlay positions and the compass icon/panel must be used to display the overhead in front of the main panel(s). And I am sorry I misspelled your name!MDavis