Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

Can I use fx_vclight effect for 2D cockpit?...

Guest abent

I'm trying to achieve panel spot lights like edetroit's crj 2D panel. I don't know if the fx_vclight effect files can be incorporated into a 2d panel or how one I can get this effect.Do I have to make an alternate bitmap? Please help me figure out how to get this lighting effect.Thanks, Adam

Guest Milton

The picture above appears to be the VC at night with night lighting applied with light maps. This is not possible in the 2D cockpit however it is available for the spot view of the 2D cockpit.2D spots are done with a separate bitmap. We used a separate main bitmap with the spot highlites toggled by a switch.Keep in mind that these are typically used for tarmac activities, not in night flight. However, the "softness" of the above would probably be okay from the looks of it. Ours is too bright and prominent for night flying.

Guest sphing

Please elaborate on the 2D spot light.Are you talking about an entire main panel painted with night lighting effects?...or are you talking about an actual spot bmp that effects a dark panel in the reverse of how an alpha image is used to create a shadow, as in the 747 standby altimeter?Thanks,John

Hmmm... I doubt this VC flood lites are made with an FX file... They would not give you these results for sure... At least I think they would not. So like said before by someone else, you gotta do a seperate bitmap and app

Guest abent

Hi Milton, I picked up a copy of Pixel Studio and I've been playing with it. Having a bit of trouble getting used to the path creation tool though I have made some nice lighting effects on a panel bitmap. I can get a nice fade effect with the lights/opacity but they seem to fade from the center of the elipse rather than from the top of the elipse as in your great shot. This I will eventually figure out.What intrigues me though is this switch you refer to for 'turning on the lights'. Does this switch tell FS to load the modified bitmap?Anyway, the effect I made looked quite good IMO until I turned off the cockpit lights and everything went dark as usual.Clearly I have much more to learn.I would however appreciate an explanation of this switch thingy you were referring to.Thanks a lot, Adam

Guest Milton

The picture attachment I used above is from our Dash 7 panel created by Scott Thomas. We use a switch on the panel to control the spotlights. The same could be used for yours.Actually, Scott found a way to do this without a separate bitmap in the panel folder, but I do not know how. I will ask Scott to reply here when he returns from his holiday trip.

Guest abent

Thanks Milton and Merry Christmas...Is this effect available on your Dash7 panel now? If so, I could download it and examine the panel folder to get ideas on how to achieve the effect if you wouldn't mind. I've installed xml icons to open and close windows. I just don't know how to put in a switch to open/close a bitmap.I remember before you told me to append a bitmap with L ex. 'Panel_L', but I could never get that one working.For now I'd be happy to try it with a second bitmap...at least until Scott comes back. Thanks so much!!!Adam

Guest Milton

The light map with _L was for the outside Spot view of the cockpit interior. That does not work for the 2D panel view.Yes, the Dash 7 has had this feature since release back in Sept 2002. It is however a large download. If you wish to download one of the Dash 7's, I would recommend the newest FS9 Dash7CIR Canadian Ice Recon version. Has the latest in panel stuff and FS9 FD's and only one livery to keep size down.Help yourself exploring it ...

Guest abent

Thanks Milton,I have a dialup and not a good one at that but I will d/l it later today and have a look. If you don't mind though, I'd sure like to hear what Scott has to say on the subject when he gets back.Adding another panel bitmap is, at this stage, a little less desireable as I'm starting to see a bit of a performance hit already with the overhead panel, pedestal, RXP gauges and the RXP radio panel I made.Thanks again, Happy Holidays...Adam

Guest Milton

Adam,I will be happy to upload just the Dash 7 panel for you and send you the link. Zipped it is about 8MB.Milton

Guest abent

Hi Milton, I just changed ISP's the other day as I live in a relatively remote area and my regular ISP couldn't guarantee a connection. I'm having trouble with my email hence replying here to yours.Yes, I would gladly d/l the Dash7 panel yet I think I will have to do it tomorrow as phone traffic is extremely heavy tonight due to Christmas calls. Makes one pine for civilization. :-roll I'm a school teacher working in the north 10 months of the year. High speed in the summer! }(Enjoy the holiday. You can send the link if you like. I'll see how things go tomorrow.Cheers, Adam