Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

To GMAX aircraft designers...

Thought I'd post a warning... I've noticed a few recent releases can only be displayed in FS2004. If you are designing a an aircraft for FS2002 and FS2004, or you don't plan on using any new visual features that FS2004 supports, please consider compiling with the older versions of Makemdl, etc... There's still legions of FS2002 users out there who would enjoy both freeware and payware projects. It is hard as heck to develop for two platforms, so I only suggest this if an aircraft designer isn't taking advantage of any of the newer, FS2004 specific visual features...FSDS 2 doesn't seem to have this problem, btw, although if Louis updates it to comply with the FS2004 SDK, that could change....-John

Guest Milton

Good points John. I have been doing just that.I released the AC500 for both FS9 and FS2002 compiling each on its own platform tools. The key is in testing, otherwise these issues would not occur.The AC500 Cargo version is out for FS2004, but I am close to releasing it for FS2002. With new FS9 features, it takes a little more time for the adjustments. Testing is taking more time too as I get used to FS2004. FS2002 seems slower than ever. :-)The upcoming Howard 500 is already tested on both platforms.I would also remind developers to check their alphas closely in all 4 Time-Of-Day scenarios. With the changes in FS9, some things will look great but not show at all in FS2002.With the specular, reflectivity, and alpha differences, the effects can be quite surprising in the transition.Above all, have fun.RegardsMilton

>It is hard as>heck to develop for two platforms, so I only suggest this if>an aircraft designer isn't taking advantage of any of the>newer, FS2004 specific visual features...For freeware a/c, I agree wholeheartedly. In my experience though, only a handful of folks who actually buy payware a/c still run FS2k2.Also, there's a heck of a lot more cool things with the new XML embedded code that can be created besides "specific visual features."The conditional animation is fantastic! It's so easy to code things like 'drooping control surfaces' when the hydraulic pressure bleeds off during engine shutdown. :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

"The conditional animation is fantastic! It's so easy to code things like 'drooping control surfaces' when the hydraulic pressure bleeds off during engine shutdown. :)"I agree... Or the wings that flex in the chop, like the recent DC-10 release. I think any feature which is FS2004 specific justifies using the new SDK--especially for payware designers. Myself, I only use FS2002 for some clear weather flights, and that's about it. But I am finding many users still with FS2002--not the enthusiasts we see here, but the more casual simmers who might surface to buy one add-on a year...Flight1 did a great thing with their recent 441 release--it's compiled for both sims... But I still prefer FS2004 :)

Guest rgerassi

"The conditional animation is fantastic! It's so easy to code things like 'drooping control surfaces' when the hydraulic pressure bleeds off during engine shutdown. :)"Agree with that too.. I think it's important to notice that Posky's A330 has the dropping elevators/ailerons when the engines are shut down, and I ran it on FS2002 before. I noticed that the ailerons/elevators would go up when engine #1 was on and running.Isn't there any way to link any hydraulic-dependent control surfaces to prop1_still for example to use'em in FS2002 ?Cheers,Ricardo - Brazil

There may very well be a way. I don't develop for FS2002 any longer, so I haven't taken time to give it any thought... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator