Sign in to follow this  
Guest Skymed

Determining direction of turn

Guest Skymed

In my HELIHUD (Heads Up Display for choppers), I want to add a string text message that, when the helicopter is in the hover, it tells the helicopter pilot when the helicopter is turning left or right, thus requiring pedal input to counteract the turn.So my thoughts on this have been to use the (A:Plane heading degrees gyro, radians) variable. Cool, easy. Problem is, since that variable is constantly changing with heading, how do I compare it to itself to determine if the chopper is turning left or right?I was thinking along the lines of adding a small time delay and comparing the new heading to the last heading and seeing if that would work, but I have no idea how to do that. Perhaps that is not even the right thought process.Can anyone point me in the right direction, as this is driving me nuts.SteveEDIT: I sould also mention that I am using XML.

Guest bartels

What about DELTA HEADING RATE? I would look in a default turn coordinator to look up the exact syntax.Arne Bartels

Steve,Just an idea, it works a little bit, may be you can perfect it; you need uncoordinated flight:(A:Turn coordinator ball,position) 0.2 >Right(A:Turn coordinator ball,position) -0.2 <Leftor(A:INCIDENCE BETA,degrees) 1 >Right(A:INCIDENCE BETA,degrees) -1 <LeftHope it helps,Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

Guest Skymed

GuysThanks a million for the help. I used this one:(A:Delta heading rate,rpm) 20 * 1 >= %Right%!5d!%(A:Delta heading rate,rpm) 20 * -1 <= %Left%!5d!%And she works great.Steve