Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

Self illuminating textures

Guest luhiss

Hi All,Working on a small project and trying to figure out how to get certain items in the VC and the external model to be self illuminating, or light emitting, even in the day time.I read Bill's VC night lighting tutorial (thanks Bill) but I am still stumped about making things illuminate in the day time.The BRIGHT tag in the SDK doesnt seem to do anything (unless I am using it wrong)Any ideas? I'm also interested getting gauges to illuminate in the daytime.. but that is for another thread I guess (unless you have some ideas :))Thanks!Luhiss

Guest Robert Sanderson

"Any ideas? I'm also interested getting gauges to illuminate in the daytime.. but that is for another thread I guess (unless you have some ideas)"Hi Luhiss,I'm using emissive materials to illuminate the VC gauges by day. I assign an emmisive material to a second gauge poly (copied/pasted from the first). I then assign a light circuit to this second poly so it is only visible when a switch coded for that circuit is closed. I suppose you could cause any object in the VC to be light emitting or self-illuminating by using the same technique (with or without the light switch), but I haven't tried it, and can't say for sure.AFAIK the bright tag for gauges only causes the gauge to retain the daylight illumination level at dusk, night and dawn, and will not work to make it brighter by day. For GMAX special material names, it looks like bright describes an emmisive material: "The material is bright (emits light)" but I'm using FSDS and I really have no idea!Regards,Robert

Guest luhiss

Thanks for the replyWell... in Gmax, the self illumination slot is used for the night light (_L) texture.Ive tried checking it, unchecking it, adding white instead of black, bitmap, no bitmap, 100% 0%... whatever I do, nothing illuminates in FS (except at night)Anyone else know anything about this? How do you make something emmisive, or self illuminating in FS using GMAX????Luhiss

Guest Milton

I think Fr. Bill described this pretty well in a couple threads.The _L with black or white alphas triggered by Nav or Landing lights is not the solution obviously.It seems the only current solution may be a (switch) gauge controlled effect, like cabin lights. Light type 10 would be used in the Lights section; use a vclight or some variant, and create a switch to toggle it, or automate it by time of day (preferably day, but off during dusk, dawn, or night).light.12=10, 3.50, 0.0, 4.00, fx_vclight