Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marcel_Felde

How to improve performance of instruments in the virtua...

Guest Marcel_Felde

Hello Kevin,I solved this problem by building the vcp at 130% of the real size. As you can see in the picture (very early state of work...), switches and knobs are round and not welded. There also other bugs in FS that one can avoid buy building it a little larger. Perhabs this is a solution for you. :-)Greetings,Marcelhttp://www.marcelfelde.de/l_previews/mm_do27_vcp_041015.jpg

Guest LilSki

Hrmmmm, May have to try that. I thought about a possible upscalling but I thought it would make things look funny if you pulled up next to another aircraft and the VC would seems very large in proportion. But I may have to try it and see what kind of nut and bolt detail I can acomplish.But anyway I really like that VC!!Kevin

Guest Robert Sanderson

Hi Kevin, Marcel is correct about the Vcockpit sections, once you exceed three the refresh rate starts going south in a hurry. All the default FS2004 aircraft have 1-3 Vcockpit sections in panel cfg, except the C208 & C208B. Those two have 4, but Vcockpit2 is named Vcockpit11 for some reason. I don

Guest Marcel_Felde

I think, that you won't be so close to other aircrafts to see a difference. And, in my opinion, the proportions look better. In reality, you have to move your head down and to the sides to see the instruments, and so you have to in 1.00 zoom. Many people like to fly with 0.75 to 0.50 zoom, and here are the instruments still large enough to be readable. :-cool>But anyway I really like that VC!!Thanks you very much Kevin! :-)Greetings,Marcel

Guest Marcel_Felde

Hello Robert,I'm also thinking about making the wings scale, that the nav lights are in place. Or I'll make different effects for in and outside.Yes, it is a Do-27. The D-EIBE today looks much cleaner and "nicer", but I know this bird from my childhood, and then it looked old and dirty. :-hah

>First off I would like to say I was the guy Robert talked to>about the welding verticies. And I would also like to disagree>with n4gix if I could :)Certainly you may disagree with me! I am quite eager to be corrected if I am wrong on some point. A closed mind is by default locked to prohibit continued learning. *:-* >Yes you can turn off weld vertices and optimize as this is>what I do for all my models. But the weld verticies ONLY>applies to the exterior model. I can make a part as small as I>want on the exteriors with less than 1mm between vertices and>will not have a problem. The second you go into the VC if>anything is within 4mm it gets welded or misaligned. I've done>many tests with this and have come up with nothing. Makemdl>will always weld verticies in the VC. Well, to be honest I've never noticed any auto-welding in the interior model, but that may well be because it isn't my practice to model tiny nuts and bolts... at least, not in FS itself.Instead, I model such parts on a HUGE scale in 3dSMax and render a high-res texture, which can then be applied to a simple shape in the FS model. I'm a terrible graphics artist, but using the advanced lighting, shadowing, ray traced vector drawing, etc. available in 3dSMax can go a long ways towards covering up for that shortcoming... :)For example, is it really necessary in the FS model to model actual geometry for the cross-head on a phillips screw, or the grooves in a jack-screw? :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Marcel_Felde

Hi Bill,For the exterior model of the DA-20 Katana I modeled the few screws the plane has (only a few to fix the cowling), so people have not so much work to repaint here. Also other small details where made as 3d objects, so it is very easy to repaint, you don't have to worry about the details. But I won't model every screw on a piper or cessna... x( The screws on the Do-27 panel are painted on the texture btw.Greetings,Marcel

Guest LilSki

"For example, is it really necessary in the FS model to model actual geometry for the cross-head on a phillips screw, or the grooves in a jack-screw?"YES :)I'm not saying every nut and bolt but a few to add some more character. Plus IMO a modeled screw head with a cross texture makes a better phillips screw than a pure texture.I just messed with the 130% larger scale and it really doesn't change the view much from the normal scale. But it would allow "smaller" parts since overall everything is bigger. I may have to release a nut and bolt update on the L-16 ;)

Guest Robert Sanderson

"For example, is it really necessary in the FS model to model actual geometry for the cross-head on a phillips screw, or the grooves in a jack-screw?" I

>For the exterior model of the DA-20 Katana I modeled the few>screws the plane has (only a few to fix the cowling), so>people have not so much work to repaint here. Also other small>details where made as 3d objects, so it is very easy to>repaint, you don't have to worry about the details. But I>won't model every screw on a piper or cessna... x( Hmmm... for parts I don't want repainters to have to worry about, I will typically use a "floating poly object" and map it to a large image on a texture sheet. Make one, and clone as many as needed, placing them precisely on the model where desired. Rotate the polys so all the head detail isn't identical also. :) You can even find photos of different screw heads with a google.com search for images to make life even easier.Here are some "screws" I have either created in 3dSMax or composited from available images on the web... :)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94537.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94538.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94539.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94540.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Marcel_Felde

>Make one, and clone as many as needed, placing them precisely on the model where desired. I tried this too, but then the shading doesn't fit in many places. :-cool . For example the under the glareshield.>Rotate the polys so all the head detail isn't identical also. Important point, makes the panel much more authentic. Perhabs you won't see that all screws are aligned, but you will feel: This panel looks some kind of factitious.