Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Cessna 195 airfile

Hi you experts,I recently downloaded the C-195 (floats, tundra tires, wheels version), and was very disappointed with the flight model. So, I decided to change it a bit.So far, I've moved the CG a little backwards (breaking on ground doesn't result in the aircraft turning over and crashing onto the propeller), added more pitch and bank stability and increased the values for flaps lift and flaps pitch in the aircraft.cfg.I changed some values in the .air file as well (flaps pitch, trim limits), but didn't see much of an effect here.The aircraft is better flyable for me now. What I'm still not happy with is that it still shows the tendency to drop the nose at low speeds (around 80-90 kts) with full flaps. It drops the nose when power is reduced as well. It's much better now after the first tweaks, but it's still not what I like.So, maybe some of the experts can answer the following questions:1) What parameter in the air file is responsible for how much elevator trim can be set and how the "trim curve" looks like (I have the impression that when I trim, it starts slowly to show effect, and the more trim I set the more "exponentially" the effect gets stronger)?2) I'm unsure if the aircraft.cfg parameters for flaps lift are sufficient to make the nose go up when flaps are set. I don't mean here that setting the flaps should result in a momentary raise of the nose, but extending flaps should allow me to lower the nose. Too many freeware aircraft IMHO need to be flown extremely nose up at low speeds (bad for visibility etc.). I'd like to change this at least on "my" C-195. I'd like to achieve that when I set flaps, lift raises and the nose is "pulled upwards" so I can trim the elevator down.Curently, the nose is too much up at approaches for my taste. It's a taildragger, so I need to keep the tail up at touchdown and at the same time keep v/s low. That's impossible if at full flaps and a good amount of up trim the pitch is still well over 5 deg and v/s is around 500 ft/min. Need to flare a bit in the end to get v/s back, and that would mean the pitch would be near 8-10 deg (tailstrike?).3) When power is reduced, nose drops significantly. Like to dampen this a bit, what parameter controls this (saw some parameter which lifts the tail according to the propwash effect...)?Andreas

Guest Douglas K

Andreas, CG should be at 25% of MAC (mean aerodynamic chord). In aircraft.cfg, under (airplane_geometry) set the

Douglas,thank you for the thorough explanations! I'll try to do my best when going back tweaking the 195 (a nice plane, I simply love the radials...).Andreas

Guest Douglas K

Hey no problem. But I wasn't as thorough as possible Andreas, there are so many factors to consider that I singled out the most likely for a good start on fixing things to better suit your needs. Depending on who wrote the flight dynamics and what they started with things can be seriously hosed and hard to fix. But let's hope for the best, get started on what I wrote earlier, and if you have any problems we'll work on the rest!I love the old radials too, I grew up with airplanes equipped with them and the sound of a R-985 and a Hamilton Standard two-position prop is one of my earliest memories. They ain