Sign in to follow this  
Guest IanK

Can we edit airfiles for freeware aircraft?

Guest Moviedirector20

I know that this is not really a development question but I felt this is the best place to post. I am starting a VA and we feel we can improve the air file of a aircraft a bit. Do I have to ask permission, whats the requirments?Thanks!

If your intent is to redistribute the .air file, even within your VA, then the answer is yes you need permission. Unless the author has declared his/her work "Public Domain", they retain the copyright to their work. Nothing prevents you from modifying an .air file to your own personal tastes, however as long as it stays on your system--even if an author states otherwise, at least U.S. law allows within certain limits for such modifications in the interest of research.You can even post the original work, and post in your forums the suggested .air file updates. But also note that even your ability to post the original work may be restricted if the author states that in his license restrictions.-John

Guest Moviedirector20

Okay thanks a lot! also does anyone know Chuck Dome's email? I tried the one that comes with the aircraft but it dosent work.Thanks!

I don't have his current email, but check his license. I believe Chuck Releases his work in the public domain.-John

Guest Moviedirector20

Okay thanks for pointing that out, so he does declare it Public Domain, im just confirming, dont want the FCC at my door :), I am free to edit and distrubte the new air file?

Sorry I didn't catch your question. Yes, if it's declared Public Domain you may--just be sure to recognize Chuck as the original author.-John

Guest Moviedirector20

Roger that thanks a lot for clearing this up!

Guest IanK

In Europe the concept of Public Domain does not exist. Copyright law automatically makes the author the copyright owner (until 70 years after their death). But you can copy or alter any of it if you want for your own personal purposes. You can't distribute it freely unless it explicitly says so in what the author says with the product even if there is no implied contract. You can't sell it without the authors permission. OK I think the effect of much the same but the terminology is interpreted differently.Ian