Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mirage

help with adjusting a flight model

I have a freeware plane (a twin jet)that is good in all aspects except when in the approach: it is impossible to hand fly. Any slight aileron or rudder input causes a side-to-side swaying around the roll and yaw axes; very much like what a feather or a leaf does as it falls. Is there anything I can do in the cfg file to help? I was thinking that perhaps the MOI's are too low? Is that a good place to start? I also noted that the drag factors are set around .6, where in all of the other planes I have they are set at 1.0. Any help appreciated. Mike

Just for reference for anyone. I found the answer in Tom Goddrick's Flight Dynamics pdf which can be found through a search on this forum. It was the MOI's which can be easily fixed. In fact, anyone who wishes to tune the cfg file should get this pdf. Mike

The MOI values (roll, pitch and yaw) can be found in the aircraft.cfg. For the side to side swaying, tweaking the roll MOI should do the trick--I would reduce it in 25 pc. increments. But when tweaking it, also try flying at max speed. Reducing MOI too much can give your aircraft "the shakes" when it hits a certain speed.-John