Sign in to follow this  
Guest odog

STEC 50 Autopilot

Guest Comancheguru

I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in developing an STEC 50 autopilot control head in XML?I'm currently using the RealityXP STEC 50 that came with the FS2002 debonair package. That A/P uses a three position switch and the on/off button on the STEC 50 head. The use of both of these switches causes the A/P not to disengage when selecting Z on the keyboard.The center knob also causes the aircraft to far exceed the 90% of rate one turn which the actual units accomplish.I have the documentation and any support info that someone could need if they were to take this on (from the real STEC units operation).

Guest Comancheguru

Bingo!That's a quick reply, with an awesome looking unit.The STEC 50 doesn't have an altitude selector.You change the Aircraft.cfg toDefault_Bank=0Default_Pitch=0And then when you turn on the A/P it will go into STB mode which levels the wings if the center knob is at the neutral pip.If the center knob is turned then the aircraft will maintain that bank (of up to 90% rate one turn).The Nav selection will track a VOR or GPS and the APP switch will increase the sensitivity of the tracking. The Reality XP unit when the APP is pushed actually captures the glideslope - which doesn't happen on a real STEC 50. The real STEC 50 has only altitude hold no other vertical guidance. But thats your choice. The REV button allows the A/P to track a backcourse.When you say your going "old school" is that because it's in "C" or is it in XML?One recommendation would be to have just a slight line of black outside of the silver trim. This is because not all instrument panels are black.I hope this help's, I am looking forward to see it in operation.Any more assistance, that I can provide is yours.:-kewl

Guest odog

it works pretty much the way it's described in the manual, but my limitations and FS's cause certain funtions to be... fudged.the trim lights look pretty slick in operation. I did change the ALT to capture the current alt, i forgot, and the blue boxes on either side of the HDG knob will bank the plane while on AP.I was pretty sure i saw a alt-preselector for the 50 series tho.old school means, instead of modern avionics im going with the original radios, pretty ugly.. but fits a wilga better.just started 2nite..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109057.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109056.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109058.jpgis the S-Tec something you want to work on? (XML) Cuz im pretty busy right now and going in another direction, it's OK as-is, but like i said.. could use some love.joe

Guest Comancheguru

I think your "old school" is "right on".Part of the flight sim experience, at least for some, is to fly older aircraft the way they were.So your Wilga panel looks great so far.A picture of the real one (as shown) as the panel.bmp works, as on the spartan panel recently uploaded to Avsim (and commented on the pmstone website), just in case you weren't aware of that method.I'm willing to try your STEC 50 and tweak it as neccessary, to give it "some love".I'll PM you my e-mail.Also the altitude capture issue. The STEC 60-2 looks similar (no center knob though) and does have an altitude capture feature.

I'd love to see a S-tec System 20/30 Autopilot. The one thats a combo with a turn cordinator. it would be a great autopilot for older planes since it's a very popular add on since it doesn't use any additonal panel space.Brian

Guest Comancheguru

ODOG I'm sent you my e-mail in to your Avsim inbox. I'll help with the testing etc.

Guest odog

well.. hmmphI sent it to you already...and another email asking if you liked it. :-lolIm guessing you didnt get it then, I'll try againjoe