Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

"Easy" panel rebuild update

Thought I'd post an update on my "easy" Aztec panel rebuild for gauge newbies (like me).It was inevitable that as soon as I started to build a new panel for our local Aztec it would disappear for a couple of months..Here was intended final version.http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/FS-Images/GCALL2.jpgOf the main dials only the ASI and VSI are new. Below these the autopilot and switches are rebuilds and I'll probably remake the Suction gauge too. At the moment the radio stack is still a bank of dummy bitmaps awaiting code (luckily as you will see in a minute). On the right all the gauges are new but the MP needs a better bitmap and the EGT is just a placeholder. Both are awaiting the aircraft's return so I can get some good photos.The bad news is that after 12 years the owner has just decided to replace all the radio kit! Good job I hadn't started on these - but I think the new items may be tricky. Here's what it may look like.http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/FS-Images/GCALL_New.jpgApart from the Collins Audio box the rest is new. King KMD150 GPS, King DME and ADF and two new Garmin SL30 NAV/COM units complete the main stack. The Transponder is a circular Filser TFT800 unit mounted below the ADF.The rebuild so far has been relatively easy and, thanks to help on this forum, I've even got complex gauges like the autopilot working. If I decide to install the updated radio stack I think things may get a bit harder. Mind you I'm tempted to make both the old and new panels (because I flew the aircraft for many years with the old panel) and hope that the first set will help in building the second.For newcomers to the forum I'd add that I have never touched gauge building before. I started this project just to see how far it could go with it - originally aiming to replace just three gauges but I have now made 36. Most have been much easier than expected - passive displays like fuel quantity gauges and the VSI are very easy to do. Gauges that have several click spots are trickier and I admit I still have to sort out the six position fuel selector and, odd as it seems, the spring loaded flap lever.For help I have used the XML thread at the top of this page, Arne Bartels superb syntax guide, asked lots of silly questions here and used VCAB to drop all the gauges into a neat CAB file (actually two CAB's as I am keeping the radio's separate). I did look at the SDK but I readily confess it didn't mean much to me, although some of it is now beginning to make sense..

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I think its looking real good.And my motto is:"The only silly question is the one you DON'T ask"Steve

Bones,A really beautiful panel!I have some 20 hrs on twin Pipers, but no Aztec.(Seneca and Seminole)Couldn't find a good pic of the real one to compare.Jan"Beatus Ille Procul Negotiis"

The SDKs are actually very good, but they make a lot of assumptions about prior knowledge (as if somehow all of us have been building models/panels since 2002...). I am now only begininning to fathom more and more of it. It really is simply a matter of re-reading them every time I accomplish something new. I discovered that parts made sense that did not before, simply because I now know what they heck they are talking about. :)I have become thoroughly addicted.Looking good, keep up the good work! CheersShad

To be really accurate I KNOW I should create a second window to house the throttles, flaps, gear, trim and fuel selector gauges. It would make everything look exactly as it should - but I hate pop up windows. :)Working on the Garmin SL30's and their unique display - working being a naive term here having not touched radios yet. The SL30's only show COM or NAV frequencies at any one time and you have to press a COM or NAV button to bring up the other set. I'm trying the page_select function for this - hope it works.

Jan,Oddly enough I've not had many trips in Senecas or Seminoles and I can't recall the panels at all. My bet is that they look a bit more current than the old 1967 Aztec dials :)Sorry to digress but Seminole reminded me that it isn't the first aircraft to bear the name - I still think of the Beech L23A. The Apache to us old (or bold) pilots is another Piper twin but a hairy chopper to the youngsters here.First use of the Seneca name wasn't from Piper but was by Cessna - back in 1957 for the pretty little CH1B. It later became the Skyhook.http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/ch/ch1-i.jpgNo wonder my wife says I'm a mine of useless information!