Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mathias

Rob B. - Hovering gauge for Osprey

Guest Mathias

Hi Rob,do you have a clue why I can't get your magnificent gauge to work not with the payware Osprey you designed it for but with the freeware one by Vlad Zhyhulskiy (originally for FS2002, tweaked by Chuck Backus for FS9 usage - v22cbfix.zip)? I installed everything as per your documentation, downloaded FSUIPC V. 3.50, even manipulated the flaps settings to 90

Hi Matthias,Yes, I do know why it doesn't work :-)For lots of different reasons:- Different ways of setting flaps and variables for flaps animation.- Differences in N1 limits, weight, pitch, ground RadioHeight, etc. etc...So each version is very specific for a certain model (.mdl animations and FDE).Don't ask me yet how to tweak it for Vlads V22, because it would take me more time to explain then making it myself :-)The good news is: I WILL upload a version for Vlad's freeware V22 (probably within a week or two, after finishing some other versions).I fact, I already have it working, as good as for Alphasims V22.But I have a very awkward problem: I don't know which FDE to use as starting point. Let me explain.Untill a month ago, I never used any V22 before. But since I knew there existed a freeware one (and was sure my VTOL gauge could also be used for a V22 as well) I did a little search for a freeware V22, and found a file ospryv22.zip on flightsim.com. Which I used to adapt my VTOL gauge, and made a small demo video for it.The only problem with this file, that, apart from the V(S)TOL behaviour, this FDE isn't very good (to put it mildly) at normal cruise flight. Like: at 200 knots the elevator start "flapping" and the aircraft becomes uncontrollable).Hence, I didn't want to release that.When I announced this problem in the flightsim FS2004 forum, I was approached by this Mr. B you mention, offering his help to solve this FDE problem. But after a few very "funny" Emails, it became clear that that this Mr. B has had a big fight last year with the author of file ospryv22.zip about copyright. Of which, of course, I knew nothing about.So when I asked him to adapt the FDE in this ospryv22.zip file, suddenly the world was too small for the both of us. You won't believe the bad-mouthing directed to me in his Emails, accusing me of stealing, not knowing what I was doing, having a big ego, that his FDE was perfect, etc etc.Which was, by far, the most discouraging experiance in the 7 years I develop freeware for FS.Since yesterday, I'm aware of this v22cbfix.zip file by this Mr. B.But you can understand I am VERY reluctant to even look at it, let alone use it :-(I.o.w.: I'm looking for a decent FDE for Vlad's V22:- Which has no input whatsoever by this Mr. B.- Which has a decent normal flight behaviour, allowing max. airspeeds of upto 300 Knots. (I don't care about the V(S)TOL behaviour, because my gauge simply overrides that).So any suggestions would be appreciated.Best Regards, Rob

Guest Mathias

Wow Rob, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles concerning this freeware V22 :-( If I had more time on my hands and not my own Do128-6 to finally update to FS2004 I would gladly help in the construtction of a new airfile for this Osprey, as I find this aircraft's concept very intriguing. Not to mention how intriguing I find your VTOL gauge concept :-) I do hope you will find a solution to your problem. Ever tried contacting Vladimir himslef?A possibly new email address is listed in his more recent Beriev Be12P Amphibian.

Hi Matthias,The last I heard, Vlad wasn't available anymore for Flightsimming.But the good news is: another (I might add: very experianced) developer just offered his help. So we'll see where we end up :-)Cheers, Rob

Guest Mathias

Thanks for the good tidings, Rob !