Sign in to follow this  
Guest jprintz

View Forward Direction, View Zoom, and panel.cfg

Guest jprintz

I have looked at MANY panel.cfg files to try to find an example of this. I had assumed it was possible, and it seems like I've seen aircraft where this has been done, but now am beginning to doubt myself....My question: is it possible to have different VIEW-FORWARD-DIRECTION's and VIEW-FORWARD-ZOOM's for different view windows within the same panel.cfg? I can't find any help with the proper syntax anywhere. I've tried different combos of putting those commands in different parts of the window listings, but so far no luck...Someone please tell me that the values you choose for the main window are not ones you're stuck with. If it is the case that those commands are global (within the whole panel.cfg), has anyone found a way around this?Thanks!

Guest jprintz

This is from the Panel SDK, referring to panel.cfg entries:"TYPE: Specifies the type of the panel window. Valid entries are PANEL for aircraft panels, MINIPANEL for gauge windows shown in the

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Each 'view' can have a custom zoom, and pitch bank and heading, as defined in the panel.cfg (see below).However, you can adjust these in the sim with key presses. If you open multiple windows, you may be able to have different ones display different views, haven't tried it, and not sure why you'd want to. In any case, you only can setup one default zoom/direction per view.Like this:[VIEWS]VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM .75 ; Sets up 75% zoomVIEW_FORWARD_DIR 18.0, 0.0, 0.0 ; Pitch, bank, headingwhere these are the valid zooms:VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOMVIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_ZOOMVIEW_RIGHT_ZOOMVIEW_REAR_RIGHT_ZOOMVIEW_REAR_ZOOMVIEW_REAR_LEFT_ZOOMVIEW_LEFT_ZOOMVIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_ZOOMVIEW_UP_ZOOMVIEW_FORWARD_UP_ZOOMVIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_UP_ZOOMVIEW_RIGHT_UP_ZOOMVIEW_REAR_RIGHT_UP_ZOOMVIEW_REAR_UP_ZOOMVIEW_REAR_LEFT_UP_ZOOMVIEW_LEFT_UP_ZOOMVIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_UP_ZOOMVIEW_DOWN_ZOOMVIEW_AUX_00_ZOOMVIEW_AUX_01_ZOOMVIEW_AUX_02_ZOOMVIEW_AUX_03_ZOOMVIEW_AUX_04_ZOOMVIEW_AUX_05_ZOOMand these are the valid directions:VIEW_FORWARD_DIRVIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_DIRVIEW_RIGHT_DIRVIEW_REAR_RIGHT_DIRVIEW_REAR_DIRVIEW_REAR_LEFT_DIRVIEW_LEFT_DIRVIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_DIRVIEW_UP_DIRVIEW_FORWARD_UP_DIRVIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT_UP_DIRVIEW_RIGHT_UP_DIRVIEW_REAR_RIGHT_UP_DIRVIEW_REAR_UP_DIRVIEW_REAR_LEFT_UP_DIRVIEW_LEFT_UP_DIRVIEW_FORWARD_LEFT_UP_DIRVIEW_DOWN_DIRVIEW_AUX_00_DIRVIEW_AUX_01_DIRVIEW_AUX_02_DIRVIEW_AUX_03_DIRVIEW_AUX_04_DIRVIEW_AUX_05_DIR

Guest jprintz

Thanks Patrick. What I really need to know, though, is whether each panel *window* (as opposed to *view*) could have its own view direction and view zoom, i.e., the main pilot view [window00] having one zoom and direction, with another fullscreen outside view window (let's say [window01]) having a different one.(Hope that makes some sense....)

Guest ridgell

not sure i know what you are trying to do.you can any number of forward views. or any view for that matter.( there is surely a limit but i have a panel with 6 forward views)you can look at some older posts with my name on them to learn some of the intricacies of nameing them.the trick is controling which one you want to show.doug dawson has a view gauge that lets you query which view is active. then you can set parameters to select.perhaps it wouyld be easier to help if i knew EXACTLY what you are trying to accomplish.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

>Thanks Patrick. What I really need to know, though, is>whether each panel *window* (as opposed to *view*) could have>its own view direction and view zoom, i.e., the main pilot>view [window00] having one zoom and direction, with another>fullscreen outside view window (let's say [window01]) having a>different one.(Hope that makes some sense....) Now I think I understand what you mean by "window".While many things are windows, they are windows in different senses. In your panel.cfg file you define panel 'windows', which are just panel holders, not view windows.So, while you can hit '[' and open a view window, then select a view and zoom in it that is different from the pilot's current view, a panel window containing a window[##] panel is neither zoomable, nor has a view direction. It is just a place to put gauges that can be visible or not based on your selections.Hope this helpsPatrick

Guest jprintz

I guess I should avoid syntax that is used in different ways in diffeent contexts! Sorry.What I want to do goes beyond the typical pilot / copilot panel views, but I can use that as an example to clarify what I mean.Here's my "vision": Panel View 1 and Panel View 2 will reside in the same panel.cfg, each with their own background panel bitmaps. I can get Panel View 1 to close when Panel View 2 opens, and vice versa, via a simple XML switch. But... each panel view needs different view_forward_zoom's and view _forward_direction's in the main view window. I would like the view zoom and view forward direction to change automatically, to settings I've assigned for each view, when I switch between panels. (Alternatively, a new outside view window could just open up on top of the first, with the other panel, but I do still need the zoom and view direction switching to be automatic...)Is this something so basic that I've completely overlooked it? Or is just not possible? Thanks for any help.

Hi,In the same simple xml switch you use for switching between panels, you can add more commands concerning vieuw direction and zoom etc.Like:38 (>K:PANEL_ID_OPEN) 10 (>K:PANEL_ID_CLOSE) 20 (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH) or30 (>K:EYEPOINT_LEFT) or40 (>K:ZOOM_OUT) etc. etc.Many possibility's, see upstairs, try and error.As an example:I use for setting the horizon in my HUD:(G:Var3) 1 == if{ (G:Var2) (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH) } els{ 0 }Look Straight(G:Var3) 0 == if{ 1 (>G:Var3) 0 (>G:Var2) } els{ 0 (>G:Var3) 0 (>G:Var2) }Look Down(G:Var3) 1 == if{ (G:Var2) 10 + (>G:Var2) }Look Up(G:Var3) 1 == if{ (G:Var2) 10 - (>G:Var2) }Hope it helps,Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Guest jprintz

Ahhhhh.... yes, I think that may be EXACTLY what I need. Thank you Jan!

Guest jprintz

Jan, thanks again. I'm 90 percent there, but am having one (small, but major ;-) problem.I can get where I need to be on MY computer with a section that includes (>K:PANEL_ID_OPEN),(>K:PANEL_ID_CLOSE),(>K:ZOOM_1X),and few (>K:ZOOM_IN_FINE) and (>K:EYEPOINT_DOWN) presses, but... for someone with different pan rates in their cfg file, it will not work precisely. We're just simulating key presses there.How can I feed actual VALUES into (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH) or (>K:EYEPOINT_DOWN)? I know the syntax, but what values will it accept, and what do they do? Are we talking degrees here? Is it one of those 0 to 16K axis kinds of things? I've tried to feed it with degrees, numbers of all different magnitudes, etc., and it just sits there whenever I try. I'm reasonably sure it's not a syntax problem or a stray comma or something silly like that. Is this an issue of 2d vs. 3D panel? I see you fed values into (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH) and it presumably switches your 2D panel down, no? What values, and how much are they adjusting it? A little more insight please! Thanks.

Hi,If you look at the code you see(G:Var2) (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH) and(G:Var2) 10 + (>G:Var2) }(G:Var2) 10 - (>G:Var2) } So could be also: (L:My value,number) (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH) (L:My value,number) 1 + (>L:My value,number) (L:My value,number) (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH) (L:My value,number) 1 - (>L:My value,number) The only thing it does is changing vieuw so that you can set the horizontal bar on the horizon if you want.Using just integers.Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Guest jprintz

Yeah, that's what I assumed, but I cannot get it to do anything, with integers of almost any order of magnitude. I was just trying things like 10 (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH)100 (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH)1000 (>K:AXIS_PAN_PITCH)and so on.... I also tried passing some dummy L:variable values. None of them did anything!! That's why I was asking about what units were in your G:variables when they were fed into that K: value, and how much view movement it corresponded to.Just to be clear here, you ARE talking about 2D panel, right? My thought was that the eyepoint variables were the best ones to be used for 2D, and those do work, but only in the increments that correspond to 2D panel SHIFT-ENTER or SHIFT-BACKSPACE view adjustments... and those increments are of course WAY too big, and dependent upon the user's individual VC pan rate settings. (Go figure!) Man, it's always the things that SHOULD be simple.... Can you imagine how powerful XML could be if all of its features were only better documented? You could actually always PREDICT how the changes you just made might translate to the gauge, and then have it tested in under 30 seconds (literally), instead of al this trial and error. A guy can dream.... ;-)Scott

Hi,In (G:Var) just integers.and its about 2D.Jan"Beatus ille qui procul negotiis..."

Guest jprintz

Okay, it must be something obvious I'm overlooking then, or the order / heirarchy of the window commands. I'll take another look. Your info helped a lot Jan, so thank you! Scott