Sign in to follow this  
Guest RotorRick

Help ! Plane "wiggles" while on the ground, when light

Guest RotorRick

Ok, I'm refining flight dynamics of a plane right now, and everything seems to be working just fine, except something about how it sits when parked on the ground. With a full tank of gas, it's just fine, but if I have it light, like less than 40% fuel, it just wiggles like a nervous racehorse, or a junkie in need of a fix.I believe this may be an issue revolving around the landing gear contact points... but I'm open to suggestions, whether it's contact points or something else I may have missed.Thanks!

Guest iholrf

A good way top test for the contact points is to put nav lights (the green or red) in the same locations as your contact point and then slew upward a few feet and see where they are in relation to the gear. Then adjust the lights for alignment to the gear point and use those values for your contact points.CheersShad

Guest RotorRick

Although your post isn't a help to me, I thank you for your effort and reply! I guess it's just that the balance isn't cooperating with the in-game physics somehow... the combination of weight distribution vice the landing gear positions just doesn't mesh.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

His post would be a help to you, if you wished to investigate your own theory that it is contact point related. He showed you a technique that allows you to see where they are in game, to verify they are correct, without having to have the model in GMax.However, once you start mucking around with the .air file, the thing you needed to do, and did not, was change one thing at a time and test.Then, when you test and find the shaking at low weight, you will know the last thing you changed caused this and how to proceed.You have to realize that many things are 'faked' and so do not always work as you might imagine.Long ago, FS had two models for dynamics, one for the ground and one for the air. They lost the ground one, and so the aircraft can do weird things on the ground if you are not careful. For example turn into a strong wind. FS compensated for this by going heavy on the weight and friction with the ground. This is why it take alot of RPM to start to move. You have changed at least one of these, and hence your problem, I believe.Patrick

This can happen if the plane's moments of inertia are not set right. Try increasing the values in the aircraft.cfg, making sure you back up the original first.;)

Guest RotorRick

Ah, moments of inertia! Thanks, I'll give that a shot! :-beerchug