Sign in to follow this  
Guest oldngray

Panel anomalies - how to fix?

Hi everyone...I've been away from flt simming for almost a year with health problems and now trying to get set up again.Since I'm a retired real world ATP, and an elderly one at that, I enjoy flying some of the aircraft I flew in years past. One of those is the Super Connie. I bought a copy of the SCFA Connie and have changed items on the panel to make it resemble more closely the model I flew. It has worked very well in the past and did so even when I reinstalled it recently.But... I've probably foolishly tried to tweak it in the past couple of weeks and appear to have broken something...The aircraft loads fine (after a default aircraft), flies fine and most of the panel items work well. There are four icons/switches on the panel that, when clicked, immediately bring a black screen, a long pause and a message that MSFS has encountered an error and must close.The icons/switches don't seem to have anything in common and each is represented in the gauge folder as I believe is appropriate. At the top of the panel the wiper switch and panel light switch (adjacent to each other) cause the crash. Near the bottom left of the panel there are 3 icons, two of which are adjacent to each other. Two work well, the other (FE panel) causes a crash. Along the bottom the pitot heat switch causes a similar crash.The joystick and all buttons operate correctly.I've tried to check out every possibility with which I am familiar, and the SCFA forum and web site seems to have gone to sleep (for months now) so I thought I'd post something here for you experts.Any ideas as to where I should start?I've learned so much from many of you while simply lurking... hope someone turns a light on for me.Thanks.Don

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

That's simple - reinstall the old bird that worked, but before You do this remove the present panel.cfg file and safely save it someplace out of the sim folders structure for the reference. I do not have the particular aircraft, but can assume it's a pretty complex panel, so moving items around can produce some undesired results.What puzzles me here is Your statement, that it worked and now all at the sudden, it does not. That's pretty odd, since if it worked and nothing was changed . . . or if You have backups of the steps made, You can try to go back one step or two but if You have no backups, only reinstall will help and then try to get the result You have now by moving one item at the time and always saving a copy of the previous panel.cfg.

Thanks for your response... and I have the same puzzlement that you mention... it worked and suddenly doesn't. Can't remember making a change in the cfg file between the time it did and didn't work.I did reinstall the old copy that was working. The old panel.cfg file is identical with this one. In fact I have gone back to 2 or 3 older backup copies and get the same results. My real problem is that I don't have a backup copy of the original "original".As you mention I fear there is something that I didn't clean out thoroughly in some reinstall and it persists in each action. This is the only aircraft in which it occurs.Another associated action that has me puzzled is that if I click on the "don't send" button of the MS error message, MSFS9 closes and immediately restarts itself. But if I use the task manager to end the program because it isn't responding (it is always not responding when the black screen occurs).My feeble analysis is that there is a memory issue. Many thanks for your help.

Well, You already spent the money for purchase of the SCFA Connie.After madly dashing thru the web I hardly managed to find a couple of screenshots of the panel that gives You pain. To put it mildly, I was a bitdisappointed with what I saw. Take some time and download aircraft and panel from http://www.flightsim.com - look for supergb.zip in the file library. It is my modest opinion that this panel is probably a very closematch to it's payware "competitor" made by SCFA. And, yes, it's free.

Many thanks for the link.Update on the problem and puzzlement.I have downloaded a copy of my purchase and it still doesn't work. After what I think was a clean uninstall of the old model, the new install has the same problem with a crash to desktop when certain icons/switches are clicked.I am beginning to believe it is something wrong with my particular computer as it relates to that particular aircraft as all other aircraft fly well.Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I'll go to the link and download the file.Don

Sometimes it is truly the simple things that get overlooked. In this case it turned out that the "name" of my "D" drive had a space between 2 words.Had an email from the panel designer asking me to check that as one of the items. I put an underscore between the words and everything was fine.Didn't realize that some apps required the old DOS convention of limiting the drive to 11 letters without spaces.It had a happy ending... thanks to those of you who responded.Don