Sign in to follow this  
Guest Patrick_Waugh

Check out cool product registration technique.

Notice in this picture of one of the first B206 panels release:http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k282/Ben...G-MarkLarge.jpgthe users aircraft registration number in the lower left. This comes from their product registration, and is tied to the licence code they were issued to authorize the product.Basically, to fly the panel, they have to have entered the right key info, and their registration then shows up. If they mouse over it, their key is visible as a tooltip too. =)Patrick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't understand everything, but it looks interesting to me.What do you mean exactly?Does it mean that "G-MARK" is the key that allows you to use the product? If the registration number is different, the panel will not work?If I am right, how can they proceed to have a different key for each customer?Eric

Eric,>I don't understand everything, but it looks interesting to>me.>What do you mean exactly?>Does it mean that "G-MARK" is the key that allows you to use>the product? If the registration number is different, the>panel will not work?Correct, but this is separate from the aircraft.cfg registration (although we could have used that if we choose), so that the user can, if they really want to, fly with any number for FS to use with ATC.>If I am right, how can they proceed to have a different key>for each customer?That is the trick. =)There are two main methods you can use, and probably a million others. At install time, you can generate, encrypt and install a unique serial into the executable that is then "known" by the program but not the user and use that in a variety of ways, or you can use a system "fingerprint" of the users computer.Once you have a unique "ID", with encryption techniques comunicate that information back to allow the generation of a key which the program can then cross-check as it runs to determine if this installation is "authorized".Patrick