Sign in to follow this  
hodge001

How to make A/P follow GPS in the HS.748?

Guest CaptainCernick

Hi,I love to fly Rick Piper's HS.748, but it's in dire need of an avionics upgrade. So I installed a GPS unit, HSI and a modern autopilot. As you may know, mr. Piper did not choose to include a Nav/GPS switch, so the autopilot can't follow the GPS flightplan.How can I make my GPS, HSI and autopilot work together and follow the flightplan? I already tried installing the default C208 Nav/GPS switch, but that didn't seem to work.Cheers,Jef

Guest CaptainCernick

Alright, let me try to rephrase this to make it more clear what I'm looking for.Rick Piper's Hs.748 has the default GPS unit installed in a pop-up window. As Mr. Piper prefered his "customers" to navigate "old-school", with VOR's and NDB's, he didn't include the ability for this aircraft to fly the GPS flightplan (nav/gps switch). While I appreciate that, I'd still like the more advanced options a GPS offers: DP's, STAR's and airways.So I installed a new GPS unit, the Simflyer KLN-90.Now I would like the 748 autopilot to follow this GPS.How do I do that?Cheers,Jef

Hi JefYou could try the following, but please backup and save to a safe location both the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files before modifying them.The NAV / GPS switch is from the default Baron, as I know that you will have that gauge, but you could probably find another freeware gauge in the AVSIM file library that may suit the background of the main panel a little better, if you do and you want to change it but don

Hi JefI forgot to mention that the NAV / GPS switch is located just below the RMI and to the left of the view / panel selector on both the main panel 2D view and the main panel VC view.If you want them moving to another location just post the location on the panel that you would prefer, and I will alter them if as I said you don

Guest CaptainCernick

Jim,Thank you so much for the help!I think the Nav/Gps switch is working now, but I encountered a new problem. The radios are inoperative and I can't turn on the KLN90 and the KFC autopilot. I'll try to install another radioset as well, perhaps that will fix the problem.Just because I'm curious, what is it exactly you made me change in the [RADIOS] section of the aircraft.cfg?Thanks,Jef

Hi againApologies for not explaining the changes to the Aircraft.cfg file, so here goes.Very basically the changes in the Aircraft.cfg has added a standby frequency to both Navigations receivers and a glideslope indicator to the number 1the Navigation receiver, and have also added standby frequencies to both of the Communication radios (this could be the problem your experiencing), and it has also removed one of the ADF units, as per Simflyers instructions, I must admit that I had not noticed that one, as these entries are taken from the installation procedures for the KLN90 unit.Com.1=1, 1Com.2=1, 1Nav.1=1, 1, 1Nav.2=1, 1, 0Audio.1=1Adf.1=1Transponder.1=1Marker.1=1As I mentioned, I only did a quick hop in aircraft, and I didn

Guest CaptainCernick

It's working great now. Thanks a lot, Jim!