Sign in to follow this  

FSSD 2 ???

Hey everyoneDoes anyone know if/when FSSD 2 or an updated version of fssd are going to be released? I am asking because i am creating scenery for fs2002, and am wondering whether to wait ( i am in no hurry) for any fssd II or whether to just go ahead and buy FSSD.Any assistance would be of great helpCheersJarrad

I'd encourage you to try and learn to use gmax.I found lots of tutorials and video tutorials (if you have access to broadband) I've put the ones I found on CD and they run fine straight from the zip file on the CD (the OS extracts them into temp files).Rumours abound that the next version of FS may not support 'macros' though I think that any new features in FS2004 will mor than likely be centered less on scenery and more on ATC AI that sort of thing.

Hi,Just one quote on this...>>>>Rumours abound that the next version of FS may not support 'macros' though I think that any new features in FS2004 will mor than likely be centered less on scenery and more on ATC AI that sort of thing.If you take a look at actual ASM files, they work exactily the same way macros do...a header file and the detail file. It will be then only a question to some one, to make a new macro header, using the same ASM files you have now, but where you can enter scales, positions and so on. This works fine for 'easy' macros, if you use animations and stuff like this, then macro headers becomes more complicated of course. Of course, all this needs a new program able to read and work on BGLC code.As we leave in 2002 and God knows what will happen in 2004, I know that until now, all FS changes made in scenery design have been worked around by people and changes will be done on time when needed, and no doubt about it, they will work.Just take an example here, on what is going on already with Gmax works, as we have already utilities than can encapsulate gamax files in libraries, is just a question of time.Best,Rafael

I am wondering if FSDS2 will ever exist. A quick look around Abacus's website revealed no information at all about this possible upgrade. The only place I've heard about it is here. It all started with "I wonder if they will make a FSDS2...".Like Ihor says, it is probably just better to learn GMAX. I'm as lazy as anyone, so I admit I haven't really dived into it yet either, but I will get there, soon.My thinking is that unless FSDS2 would export to makemdl.exe the same way that GMAX does, then there won't be much point. When the scenery SDK gets released, and new info in there may result in new scasm commands, which may get supported in FSDS2, but there just doesn't seem to be much more advantage to doing it this way.- Martin

Hey againThansk for everyones advice. My reasons of choosing a product such as FSSD/2 over GMAX are simply financial. I am already quite comfortable with the use of gmax, but the scenery project i (and a few others) am embarking on looks like its going to be payware simply due to the costs incurred for getting information and data for certain aspects of the project. As a result, it is not viable for us to spend US$20,000 ( not quite $40,000 aussie dollars) for a commercial liscence for a program as powerful as gmax, just to create what in essence will be about 30% of our total project. I'd love to use GMAX, but understandable im not willing to pay the same amount of money on a scenery design program as i would on a sports car.so FSSD2 is nothing but a rumour then??Jarrad

If fsds is ur product of choice, why are you concerned about an upgrade? FSDS works great in fs2k2.Bob Bernstein

OK, the price of a commercial GMax license is a good point here :).But isn't there a posibilty to get your data for free (and make it a nice freeware scenery then)? We, the Netherlands 2000 Team, have had some success in getting different kinds of data. Companies can be interested in what you are doing and as long as you make no money out of it, might even be willing to give you some data.And one comment about FSDS2, I also heard it was comming, not only here in the forum, but also from one of the members of our team. So I guess, it will be there (he said in June). But I don't think it will be better then GMax, as that really has some nice modelling functions.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Simpit

I thought the commercial license for GMax was if you wanted to customise the program for a particular game, not to produce commercial content from it. Can anyone show me where it says what you produce with the free GMax program cannot be sold?Derek

Thats a very good point DerekI admit that my source for the quote of US$20,000 is singular, hence he may be wrong. Can anyone clarify these two proposals - I do not imagine even some of the larger FS add-on payware companies would be willing to part with $20,000, then again, maybe im wrong.So can anyone clarify - can you make commercial scenery using the free GMAX included with fs2002 pro???ThanksJarrad

I just took a quick look at the GMax site and at the EULA of GMax, but I can't find anything that doesn't allow you to sell your GMax sceneries. So I think you are right Derek, the dev version seems to be meant to design complete games and new gamepacks.ArnoMember NL2000 Teamhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog