Sign in to follow this  

O/T -- what is Vcache and what should it be set to?

I have found some conflicting websites -- I am running Windows ME with 512 meg RAM. I now have my VcacheMax set to 61440 and VCacheMin set to 0 in accordance with one of these conflicting websites.I get reasonable framerates (except at addon airports) considering what others have quoted in this forum during the past few months -- but I am trying to cure the random lockups/screen freeze that happen every now and then .Barry

Guest cornclose

After years of fidling, my advice is to let Win98 (I assume this is the OS you have) handle it. ie. No vcache entries in system.ini.Chris Ehttp://website.lineone.net/~flightsimukAvoid AGP texturing = Better Performance ;)

Simply put, the vcache is an area of your system's RAM that is used to store data that is read from the HDD. If a certain chuck of that data is required repeatedly, it does not need to be read from the slower HDD again.I have found that Cacheman does a much better job of setting the vcache than Win98. It will recommend appropriate settings depending on how much RAM you have and how you use your computer. It also handles several other caches and even frees up unused memory. It's available as freeware from:http://www.outertech.com/Just don't run it all the time though (especially when running FS) since it also uses up a bit of memory. I'm not sure if it will cure those random lockups though unless they are memory amount related.-Leon Medado