Sign in to follow this  

VIRUS WARNING (FROM MICROSOFT APPARENTLY!)

HiI just want to warn people with Outlook Express that today I received an e-mail with the heading "Internet Security Update" (apparently from Microsoft! but I doubt it.) with an attachment called "q216309.exe" and Norton Anti-virus detected a virus called "W32.Gibe.dam"Be on the look-out!Take careMike

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

YesRead about it! Pretty insiduous, my security updates from Microsoft are automatic, never from an email. I don't ever open attachments unless I'm positive who the sender is.Either jpg or bgl :-)

And you even have to be on the watch if the sender is known to you. I have received, detected and deleted two worms from friends with infected machines already. The world has gone mad...

Microsoft doesn't send emails out like you stated. This is a bogus email from virus people.

Good reminder, and related to simming since it's hard to sim when a virus mucks up a system. This specific virus is a known one, and is not from Microsoft, although they and others in the industry have posted warnings. Once again, don't open any unsolicited attachments, and treat all attachments with the utmost of respect and caution. Sounds like you win the award Mike....many others have fallen for the virus you were sent...John

Thanks for the clarification wsieffert and John.I thought that Microsoft would not send viruses like that, that's why I said in my post that although it appears to come from MS I doubt it.Take careMike

Since you mention the .bgl, what about the downloads for the sim? Any reported virus ever show up in any of our downloads? Aircraft? Scenery?I'd like know about this? I am very new to MSFS2002. I used to FLY a bit but this one is new to me. Thanks.