Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Default Airport Decals

I remember reading about this in a post but couldn't find it. Is there a way to find and then remove the default airport decal textures that define the basic shape of an airfield? I'd like to remove it and then use my own or just use LandClass Assistant to make it look a lot better. Or even photoreal.Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi tlassiter.Airport backgrounds are the abp??????.bgl files. These decals can be hacked with a hex editor to change the texture. Or, they can be deleted to remove the backgrounds. Unfortunately, each ABP file contains a huge number of airfields per file, and there is no way to eliminate one of them within the bgl, and a texture change will affect many fields.I'm not sure if a background decal polygon can be removed with an exclusion file... that's the first thing to check. I've not tried that, and others are better versed in that regard, but I'm assuming that is not possible, or you would have already done that.Secondly, a photoreal bgl will automatically exclude anything 'underneath' it. That would solve your problem. A small photoreal ( custom ) TMF file can use not only a photo, but any bitmap... even one that approximates the landclass it overlies. Any roads, streams, lakes, shores, would also be lost under the photoreal LOD13 area(s), and would need to be recreated. bob5568 (Bob Bernstein) has suggested a screen shot could be used instead of a custom photo. You'd need to crop and size it properly... but it would already have the proper roads, etc... Note the entire LOD13 area(s) would have to be recreated. I believe this can be done effectively for a small area. Any autogen would also need to be created for this area, and placed in the local 'texture' folder. Thirdly, a TMF decal, that could be made using the proper version of fsregen, by georgio ( George Ioannu ), might also be able to coverup the abp... after all, it's exactly the same type of TMF decal polygon, and the Scenery Library order should be able to lay it on top. Exclusion may not be needed. You'd have to experiment. In other words, you'd make your own abp bgl for the single airfield, and lay it on top of the default. If it works, no textures or autogen are needed ( nor a local 'texture' folder ). The runways would automatically overlie the decal. This would seem to be the best solution. In fact, small landclass "touch-ups" are a natural for TMF decals. If you are uncomfortable with gmax or fsregen, look up posts by christian ( Christian Stock ), and download his 'Ryan's Creek' airfield example. You can make the bgl with his BGLC ( MASM ) macros.A pre-fs2002 style polygon might be used, but it would not cling to the mesh, as would a photoreal LOD13 quadrant, or a TMF decal polygon.It sounds a lot more complicated than it is. Once you work with the techniques of photoreal or decals, it's not hard at all. Admittedly, our tooling is a little rough. The hardest part was figuring out how to do these things without any assistance from Microsoft.Please, let us know how your experiments turn out. :)

rhumba,Thanks for the reply! I guess my first question in return is what is a TMF decal? I am comfortable with GMAX and am getting that way with fsregen (I really have just made API's of GMAX stuff). I would like the easiest alternative to this problem. It;s really not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to have something other than a grass polygon looking thing when you approach the airport. I have almost finished the airport layout using Airport and will begin soon with GMAX terminals and such. I don't necessarily want to spend a GREAT deal of time working on this, but if there is a fairly easy (relative term when designing scenery it seems) solution I am all ears!Thanks alot.

Try an AVSIM search as 'tmf decal', in the MSFS Scenery Design Forum, over the last year.