Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Is anyone working to fix the downtown Atlanta scenery?

Any designers interested in tackling this subject?

I'm not sure the answer to your question, but I often imagine when I read posts like yours that you may imagine there is something different between themselves and scenery designers. Truth is the only thing that's different is scenery designers try stuff. With many free tools available and many helpful folks around, I strongly recommend that you take Atlanta on as your first project!Ken Nelson has a great set of tutorials for beginners, http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/webads/Good luck,Bob Bernstein

Hey Bob, I know you can be of help in this forum and you have been for many in this forum. But what's up with the abrasive response? Usually when people post a question on a forum it is because they've exhausted their resources for an answer.What's wrong with a guy wanting to know if someone is working on a particular scenery? Telling people that if they want something done then they should do it themselves is ridiculous and rude. This forum is where people go for answers when they have questions. Not everyone has the time, patience, talent, desire, or whatever is needed to create add-ons for flight sims. As a novice scenery designer myself, I would hardly recommend a beginner try to rebuild Atlanta, Georgia as their first project. How about if you don't know the answer to the question, don't respond at all. It turns people off. Enough said.Mike Hutton

I see nothing abrasive or rude at all with my response.Indeed this is a forum of designers, and we all started design due to a desire to see an area designed. Why not suggest someone begin to take an "I can do it myself" approach?I suppose everyone's entitled to an opinion.Do you see the humor in this thread? Read the whole thread and pick out the parts that are abrasive! lolB

Hi Bob my first scenery was for Toronto and area for Fly! and it had17 airports plus it's own custom dem and a 100x140 .tga in it and that was our first scenery so yup it can be done by a "newbe" if oneput's in the time.

Calm down there Mike,Bob replied so that there would be an answer to Argus' post. I see nothing wrong with people asking if scenery is being worked on, but in all honesty, they shouldn't get their hopes up. What are the chances that someone IS working on a particular scenery? Possibly a good chance if it is something like downtown Atlanta, but possibly not. So that post would have just sat there and gone to the bottom of the page and then the next page ad infinitum, etc, etc. I think it was friendly of Bob to suggest he try to do it himself. At the very least it kept the post in the pole position a little longer. Har har.Then only reason I started doing this design stuff was because I was tired of being frustrated when my search for KRDU or Raleigh or Durham would come up nil in the search for a download.So now I've decided to tackle this problem. I guess if you want something bad enough, you will eventually cave in. I've been waiting/procrastinating since FS98. So Argus...go ahead and try it. It really isn't that bad. It's actually sort of fun...at times. And there are numerous people here who have absolutely no problem helping people out. I should know. I've asked about a million questions lately and they all (most) get answered with intelligence and kindness.And Mike, no offense, but your post was way more abrasive than Bob's. This is, after all, just a design forum. We're just pushing around a bunch of voltage swings.

Ok, I obviously took it the wrong way. After re-reading it at a normal hour I see the point you were making. Bob, my sincere apologies. Don't put me on the black list please 'cause I usually have a lot of questions that need to be answered!And I too started my own local airport because I knew or suspected that nobody else was going to do it. Again, I apologize.Mike

Bob really makes a very good point.This is a hobby, a game on a computer. No need to take anything so seriously.And those who design scenery, or airplanes, or utilities are not often professional programmers, or know anything about programming (although many are.)Many free programs exist that allow scenery creation in a very easy way. Just give it a try, Argus, and you will see how it will make your Flight Simulator hobby much more complete and satisfying.Best regards.Luis