Sign in to follow this  
Guest CGTHX

Custom Runways?

Guest CGTHX

Hey again!I am very new to this scenery design stuff and I was just wondering if it's possible to make custom runways? I made up some textures that are very accurate according to the Canadian Aeronautical Information Publication. FS's runway lines are totally different than what we have here in Canada, and I would really like to see this changed. If its possible, I will put it in my Sault Ste. Marie scenery. Thanks in advance.

Guest Claviateur

Hi,I would like to advise you that using scenery programs like FS Architect or Groundmaker can give some surprises as for custom ruwnays.I use FS Architect myslef and I like it allot but I had a really tough time trying to understand why custom ruwnays disapear when we are positioned at a specific angle and distance from their middle.It happens that after asking and looking around I heard that the code generated by the program gives a single RefPoint to the multiple airport ruwnays therefor the scale or something like that can be affected and at a distance or position the ruwnay(s) might vanish.This hapens especially if you have more then 1 runway in your airportProbably after you design with FS Architect you miht want to ask someone if you can tweak the code manually so you avoid the ruwnays vansishing issue.Cheers!Michel

You could bypass all of these programs and make a runway in gmax. It wouldn't be that hard and texture placement options would be powerful and precise. I think all you would have to do is add a flatten and exclude area and then "harden" the ground underneath your new runway. For my next scenery attempt, I am going to try make the whole airport in gmax. Everything except probably the runways...they are pretty good for US.Hope this helps.

Guest CGTHX

Hey guys, thanks for all of the help. I tried making the runways in GMax before I started this post. All I got was a flat white flashing rectange in FS. Not sure why this happened...it looked pretty good in GMax. I'll go try some of that other stuff now. Thanks again.