Sign in to follow this  

Mapping Textures to GMAX Model

Hi everybody - I created this not bad looking building texture in Photoshop Elements and am working on getting it mapped to the GMAX 3D model, but unfortunately, the texture looks very "low-res" and warped when mapped onto the model despite me getting all the vertices in the right place on the texture. Does anybody know why this is happening?Thanks,Jay

Hi Jay post a pic please. (BTW there is a lot more to applying textures than just "sticking them on your mesh).

You mean it looks not that good in GMax? I have seen that with my object too. Not a real problem, in FS everything looks much better :)Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

You can improve things in gMax by increasing the maximum texture size displayed in the viewports (the default is 256). You'll find that option in the 'Customise', 'Preferences', 'Viewports', 'Configure Driver'. Also put a tick in the 'match bitmap size as closely as possible box too.If you find your textures are distorted then put a tick in 'Texture Correction' that you'll find in 'Customise', 'Viewport Configuration'.As Arno mentions none of these options affect what you see in FS2002, but they *may* improve what you see in gMax.Have funFinn

Thanks, everybody - this is all great advice.Dan, I'll post a screenshot later on as well. P.S. I was one of your fans when you and your team built the Fly! Toronto-based scenery. I fly out of CYTZ regularly and you got it right on. Well done!Jay

Finn,This made a difference! Thanks a lot!Jay

Thanks for the complements. One thing no one talks about is the angleof the object's pollys relitive to the X,Y and Z axis.Sometimes when that angle is say not say "up or down" but is at some in between angle you will find that if you adjust the angle from that the map isprojected from (relitive to the polly(s) so that it's from 90 degreesto instead of some obtuse angle you will find that that can help. To adjust this angle select "mapping" from the UVW editor then select the gizmo,next select "select and rotate" and rotate the gizmo until it's plane of projection is at 90 degrees to the polly(s)and then apply the texture. I know from the past that this often makes a differance!. Hope this is of some help.