Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

Non Flat Trees (for Gerrish)

Hi Gerrish,Do you plan to work on more "3D" trees soon ? Time for flat trees has been don't you think. I am working on a scenery right now and hope to find time and computer ressources to be able to include more realistic non flat trees. Of course your textures are superb and as the other people I am really happy with them and would like to be updated on your furture developements. Thanks again.

Guest GerrishGray

Hi FlorentThe current model for trees, using a single flat plane that rotates to face the user, is the best compromise I can think of yet for modelling these complex objects. The older approach of using crossing static planes just doesn't work properly in this age of light-source rendering/shading. It was developed in the days when textured surfaces were rendered 'flat' and you didn't notice differences in shade between one crossing plane and the other. Have you noticed that Autogen still works that way so it gets away with the old crossed-X method. But gMax trees designed with the crossed-X look exactly like that - a crossed-X!I have racked my brains to think of ways of creating something that looks more like a proper volumetric 3D tree, especially when viewed from above as well as from the side, but there is no solution that easily preserves the ragged leafy appearance. Simple solid 'round' trees were tried as far back as FS4, but even when adequately textured they look like smooth lollipops. Frame rates always have to be a consideration with trees too - its no good in a flight simulator doing a complex design that one can only afford to use as an individual specimen. But now that PC's are getting ever more powerful and the direct use of DirectX commands is also improving frame rates for complex objects, there might be some ideas worth experimenting with ...Thanks for the 'prompt' though. I'll put this on my future task list, although for the moment I am mostly busy with Autogen stuff and a forthcoming 'land cover' project ... In the meantime, if anyone wants to chip in with helpful suggestions, I'll be very interested!Kind RegardsGerrish