Sign in to follow this  

SCASM will be compatible with FS2004?

Guest Cazador

Dear all:I'm working with SCASM macros generated by FSDS and ASD2.1,Will be the bgl files generated using SCASM compatible with the next FS2002 releases or version?I'm using FSDS to make my macros and i like to follow unsing it for the next FS2002 version.Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

Hi Alfredo,According with the last FS2002 SDK files, it will not be compatible.The 'old' style code based on Points() and Polygons as the ones used so far on scenery design will not be supported in the future version.I guess this also includes the actual way the polygons terrain is done.Rafael>I'm working with SCASM macros generated by FSDS and ASD2.1, >Will be the bgl files generated using SCASM compatible with >the next FS2002 releases or version? >>I'm using FSDS to make my macros and i like to follow unsing >it for the next FS2002 version. >>Thanks. >Alfredo Mendiola Loyola >Lima Peru

As Rafael already said the old Points and Poly commands will not be supported, but the new floating points ones will be.But I think it is a bit early to worry about these things. At the moment we do not know what the changes will exactly be, so it is more or less guessing at the moment what will and what will not work.SCASM will probably have to be updated more to use all the new commands, but if MS makes more changes to the format it is also very well possible that the sceneries made with BGLC/GMax for Fs2002 will not work without recompiling with a new BGLC.So it is just guessing now and I think it is better to have fun making the scenery now, then to start worry about what might happen in a next version :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GerrishGray

Hi AlfredoSCASM already includes the new floating point commands, but they are not yet used by FSDS. However, FSDS is to be updated shortly to the new standard, so (as Arno says), you should stop worrying for the moment.You really should give up using the obsolete ASD 2.1 though if you want to start getting ready for FS2004. Move to AirportForWindows instead which, like FSDS, is already being updated. I expect that Rafael will be updating his Nova product too ...As Arno says, we cannot be absolutely sure of the final command set for FS2004 yet, but I think we probably have a pretty good idea and if you stick with FSDS (or Nova) and Airport you will be fairly safe. If there are any unexpected surprises in FS2004 (did I say 'if' ? ... of course there will be!), they are unlikely to be major and it should not be difficult to adapt anything made by the forthcoming FSDS 2 and AFW 3 to make it compatible ...Of course, all this is only "in my humble opinion" and therefore comes with a health warning and no absolute promises! Watch this space, as they say :-)Kind RegardsGerrish

Hi Gerry,You are abosulatelly right, let's cross the river when we arrive and not before....You will be even surprised to knbow that a lot of fellows are still using FS98 for various reasons, so even with a new FS2004 version, lot of people will still stick to FS2002 a few years before changing of version...As for the new op codes, the actual Scasm version 2.88 can manage without problems all the new op codes as Gmax generates...I can say so, as I should release soon a preview of a new programm soon using only the new floating points, unless the lines , that we know don't work yet, ones must use 'old' code to make then show properlly. There are still some minor things to fix in Scasm, as the new macros generates a lot of vertex, so macros are by far much bigger and you get errors when compiling macros, even if I found a method to by pass this. On the other hand, when making libraries, the way to go....all works fine and without problems.Rafael>SCASM already includes the new floating point commands, but >they are not yet used by FSDS. However, FSDS is to be >updated shortly to the new standard, so (as Arno says), you >should stop worrying for the moment. >>You really should give up using the obsolete ASD 2.1 though >if you want to start getting ready for FS2004. Move to >AirportForWindows instead which, like FSDS, is already being >updated. I expect that Rafael will be updating his Nova >product too ... >>As Arno says, we cannot be absolutely sure of the final >command set for FS2004 yet, but I think we probably have a >pretty good idea and if you stick with FSDS (or Nova) and >Airport you will be fairly safe. If there are any >unexpected surprises in FS2004 (did I say 'if' ? ... of >course there will be!), they are unlikely to be major and it >should not be difficult to adapt anything made by the >forthcoming FSDS 2 and AFW 3 to make it compatible ... >>Of course, all this is only "in my humble opinion" and >therefore comes with a health warning and no absolute >promises! Watch this space, as they say :-) >>Kind Regards >Gerrish