Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

WaterClass

Hi all.I received a first copy of Chris Wright's AutoASM program ( great fun! ), in order to help him see what it can do.One of my early interests was to be able to create water in CFS2. While Chris's first draft does not do this, a few text replacements with a text editor does the job!I did find one problem with CFS2. In that sim, the world doesn't have as complete a 'worldwc.bgl' which is the waterclass assignments. As a result, even though we can place water with LWM polygons, the default water under much of the land is too shallow to allow takeoffs!So I had to create a waterclass BGL to correct this!Here's the INF file I used:[Destination]DestDir = "."DestBaseFileName = "Water257"UseSourceDimensions = 1[source]Type = WaterClassU8SourceDir ="."SourceFile = "Water257.raw"Lon = -3.75Lat = 53.4375NumOfCellsPerLine = 257NumOfLines = 257CellXdimensionDeg=0.0146484375CellYdimensionDeg=0.010986328125The source file I used for a test was simply a value of #8 ( just a guess ), completely filling a 257x257 RAW data file. This was a crude test... you can place the water accurately as LOD13 water tiles... just like landclass.The result, new water. It looks darker, and I can now takeoff in CFS2! So we have the birth of a new terrain design technique.Dick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yes, I wrote that in my tmfdoc2, and I' m currently updating it, although complete rewrite is a better expression, I'm trying to make a comprehensive manual on resampler.It looks like water classes map directly to textures, so you can just use the Textures Names doc from the SDK, which also discusses water textures...Cheers, Christian

Hi Christian.This was the first time I had an actual use for a WaterClass. I play with the texture names for FS2002 and CFS2, and see how that works.I was surprised it was so straight-forward.Dick

I have to admit that I did my first real test yesterday (to do some screenshots for my tmf manual). Although I knew it would be easy (ever since I discovered landclass), I never really bothered. I guess with CFS2 not having waterclasses everywhere you actually have a real use.However, after playing with it yesterday, I found it's actually of use for FS2002 also. I turned a typical dull blue glacial lake into a bright blue one, which is more realistic and actually looks better as well...I really have to test how landclass and waterclass work together. Surely, waterclass gets displayed with land / water masks, but is value 0 in landclass also a waterclass mask, ie if landclass = 0 is the waterclass displayed?I get the feeling the more we learn, the less we know...Cheers, Christian

Hi Christian.In CFS2 I found there was waterclass throughout the globe, but much of it too shallow for planes and boats. I haven't yet gotten to FS2002, but I suspect it's true that value #254 is transparent, again ( it is in CFS2 ). I couldn't get a waterclass with the new Resample! But, the old version worked just fine. I don't know why.CFS2, for the curious, has fewer classes than FS2002 ( as far as I can tell without trying them all ).1 = Shallow inland water ( most of the landmass... too shallow for takeoffs )2 = Deep inland water3 = Ocean inlets7 = Shallow coastal water ( too shallow again ) 0-5 meters?8 = Shallow ocean water 6-15 meters?9 = Shallow ocean water 16-30 meters?10= Shallow ocean water 31-50 meters?11= Medium ocean water 51-80 meters?12= Deep ocean water > 80 meters?The water tiles are blended just like ground tiles, and a 257x257 source file works just fine.( reworked Pearl Harbor )Dick

>I couldn't get >a waterclass with the new Resample! But, the old version >worked just fine. I don't know why. There's a bug in the new resample, which corrupts the header for waterclass, seasons, and regions. I don't know if this was intentionally done by M$ to cripple resampler, but I know how to fix it anyway. Since resample 1 works fine, it's only a (fixable) problem with regions, since resample 1 doesn't know regions...The shots look nice...Cheers, Christian

Shot 1 is CFS2's default Pearl Harbor, Shot 2 is mine.I'm looking forward to your findings on TMF and Resample.It's hard to tell if the SDK people delivered a crippled Resample on purpose, or if they just fouled up again! I think it's a combo of fouling up, and the fact they never used resample themselves, so they had no idea how it worked! MS had different tools than what they left us. They probably chuckle when they read these posts.:-roll Dick