Sign in to follow this  

Newbie regarding Scenery Creation with a Q..

Hi folks,Me again. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for getting started with scenery creation. There are several airfields which I would be keen to recreate, however I, at the moment, have very little knowledge on the whole thing.Anyone who can point me in the right direction? Would be much appreciated!Thanks in advance

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Tom,There are a number of tools available for creating scenery - for commercial versions, please check vendors' listings.Most people use free products such as Airport for Windows by Tom Hiscox, FS Scenery Creator by Derek Leung or GroundMaker (I forget the author, my apologies to him).Try:http://www.airportforwindows.com/for a start.The others may be available in the library.For object creation, gMax is included in Flight Simulator - however, if it is too difficult, please try Nova by Rafael Garcia Sanchez or Easy Object Designer by Matthias Bruckner. However, at the moment, gMax will give the most optimized code.It may all seem complicated at first, but once you learn the concepts, it is all quite simple - at least, until you get into optimizing your scenery and creating more advanced landclass elements.Good luck.Best regards.Luis

One more thing,I have seen this around many a time before, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what SCASM is ?Many Thanks,

Scasm stands for SCenery ASseMbler I think. Scasm has been around since fs95. It's a program that takes low level instructions and converts them to bgl files that FS9x/2k/2k2 can use. It is similar to programing in assembly language. Airport uses Scasm to build it's output bgls. It's automatically installed when you install Airport.Microsoft has recently release BGLC with the 2k2 sdks. While the documentation is a bit spotty it seems to be a viable alternative to Scasm for really low level work.

Hi therethat might not help a lot but I started just a few weeks ago in fssd and I use airport2.6 and EOD. really it is not difficult but it takes time; if you type SANTONI in the librairy search you will find some of my work on Corsica(France) and I would be happy to give you some help;regardschris(LFPG)

Scasm is a language as Checkmate described, written by Manfred Moldenhauer. You can visit his site, www.scasm.de and likely find out much more.Bob B