Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

A few UK scenery questions.

I'm a 'newby' to FS2002 and have a few of questions. 1)I haven't found a 'one-key' way of taking a screenshot yet, is there one?2)I wish to import some UK photo scenery I made for Fly!2 and find that Misho's TerraBuilder gives me a 'read out' of 5.9m/pix for it's size (when I enter the co-ords).This surprises me as it's based on a TerraScene2 'background' and that uses Fly's 7.5m/pix scale. I know others have used TS2 images in FS2002, what re-scaling did you have to do?3)Can you 'exclude'the default building (not the autogen ones) in anyway? Lots of misplaced buildings in London for instance.Finally, I'm doing UK scenery and the UK's CAA publishes 'Aerodrome Charts'with an accurate Lat and Long co-ord marked on it (usually a cross centre main runway). None of these lat/lon co-ords line up with with the same runway positions in MS2002, they are always a little off. In Fly! they were almost all accurate, alas that didn't make scenery placing any easier as photo scenery always requires 'much manipulation'to get it to fit. Makes me wonder how well 'Visual Flight' will get their photoscenery to fit.DaveT

Hello David,There are a number of utilities for taking screenshots - search in the library (for example, FS Screen) and you will surely find one. I use Martin Wright's MGrab, that not only saves the screenshots, but also integrates viewing and editing - get it at his web site:http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/index.htmAs for your problem with TerraBuilder and image resolution, you may want to ask in the TerraBuilder forum. But, then again, this is related to Terrascene output, so perhaps Misho does not know.Generally, I must resize all my projects for custom textures, even when I know the precise resolution of the original image. Maybe Dick Ludowise has some insights on this.Concerning the London monuments, please see the post by Stewart just a few threads down. In essence, you must eliminate the monuments on the default locations with an exclude switch or bgl. Then, using the Microsoft BGLPlacer and BGLC (get them in the Microsoft BGL Compiler S.D.K.) you place the monuments again in the correct location. Somewhat tedious, but not complicated.I am not surprised that TerraScene output lines up perfectly with default scenery - they are both using the same information base for roads, rivers, etc. On the other hand, when you start using the real geographic coordinates to align your scenery, you will likely find that the default scenery is quite a ways off. Unfortunately, the best solution is to use coordinates from Flight Simulator so that your scenery aligns with the default.Best regards.Luis

Thanks LuisI found the 'exclude' details when I finally read the pdf files, 'yes I know read the manuals first'!I'll try that 'screen grabber', I'm currently using 'Capture Express', perhaps it can be bettered.Does FS2002 use the 'WSG84' way of 'drawing the world'? Fly! does and therefore any 'map like scenery' has to be converted to match that. The pics I'm using are matched to the UK Ordance Survey National Grid.DaveT

Hi Dave,A simple way to take screenshots is to use the PRINT SCREEN option on your keyboard. I do this then go into Paint shop pro and under EDIT, Click on Empty Clipboard and there is your screenshot.This can be also cut to size and altered in very many ways, such as reduced, enlarged, &c.I have now stopped making scenery for England and Wales because the first Volume of the new VFR Photographic Scenery is out.

Hello Dave,The following was taken from the notes accompanying the Microsoft Terrain S.D.K.:1) Image RequirementsMore than likely, the image you want to use will be an aerial or satellite photo. The raw image must be a 24-bit per pixel Windows .bmp file. For some file formats, you can use Imagetool to convert the image into the .bmp format. It is assumed that the image has been projected to the WGS84 Latitude/Longitude datum. The latitude and longitude of the northwest corner of the image must be known as well as the spacing (in decimal degrees) between the image pixels. Flight Simulator 2002 terrain textures are about 4.75 meters per pixel.Richard Marklew has put together a very useful little utility called LODCalculator (available in the library) that is essential for all who are working on terrain. You can put in (or, some might say, input)the coordinates of your image in any format, including the UK Ordnance Survey grid reference, and get back the bounds. This may solve your problem.Best regards.Luis