Sign in to follow this  

ATC...Grrrr....Grrrr

Okay, this has happened twice now. Number two for landing at DAL and again later at IAH. Vspeeds correct, everything dialed in and I'm on the bullseye for a sweet touchdown. I'm in compliance with ATC, cleared to land number two behind XXXX. Then I hear it. Soar XXXX clear to land number three behind B737. I get overtaken and have a mid air with the default MD83. Since when was an MD's Vref speed 200 knots?Alright enough griping. Is there a fix for this? Would it make any difference if I changed the MD cruise speeds in the AI file? Is there a way to edit the approach speeds of the default AI aircraft? Or do I need to install rear turrets in my 73's?

There is no fix that I know about. This has happened to me on a number of occasions and what I learned from it is to pay very close attention to ATC when approaching the airport. If I'm landing on say KLAX 25R in a learjet and I hear "United 342 Heavy cleared to land 25R, number two for landing, follow the learjet on final" I usually line up and land on a parralel runway, ATC treats it like you landed on the assigned runway. Or your other option is to go around. Hope this helps.

Well not exactly "as real as it gets", but I suppose it will work.Thanks Rich.

An off-the-wall idea...If you fly that flight as part of a VA and you consistently "run into" this guy at the same times, may be remove the offending flight using TTools.Do a search on TTools in this forum. I saw some great threads that were close to tutorials as one can get.

Before my project took all my time, I used VATSIM to fly. Real people for ATC, real procedures for pilots, etc. Things like that still happen with the newbies, but it's not nearly as bad as MS ATC.Thomas LinTaxiwaySigns.comVolunteers (testers and designers) needed, please visit the site for information

:-lol I like the turret idea!Just an alternative, but you could use RadarContact instead of the MS ATC. A bit more realistic and it solves your problem by removing all of the AI aircraft! Hopefully V3 will correct that slight anomaly...but I still vote for the turret!

You can also save the flight, then reset it. This will reset all the AI flights, and those planes you encountered on approach will either have already landed or be tens of miles away. You can also do this by setting the Sim Rate to 8X, immediately Pausing afterwards, then returning it to 1X. Both of these methods tend to screw up your approach quite a bit so it's best to do them early enough so that you have time to recover.-Leon Medado

I heard about hitting slew key without moving for sometime then when you come back the 1st plane is landed so you can continuewithout go around.Not really "as real as it get" too but it can save the flightDan

Yes I used to fly VATSIM, but seemed to always sign on when no controllers were available in the sector I wished to fly. Not meaning to knock VATSIM but one tends to get tired of flying the east coast and Chicago all the time. Maybe I'll give them another shot. Trouble is, then I'd have to disable the AI aircraft and it's back to flying alone again.BTW, keep up the great work with the taxiway signs. Some may disagree but your project is the most important addition to FS I can think of in recent years. Funny how the simple things get overlooked but I am one big fan of you guys and hope you keep it up. You truly are making it as real as it gets (or closer anyway).

By golly Dan, your a genius. That's a great idea! Put the brakes on, let him fly by and then continue. Not as real like you said, but it will save the aggravation of losing the flight altogether. Thanks for the tip.