Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claviateur

What's the easiest scenery designer these days?

I'm looking for an all-in-one scenery design program for FS2002. I'm certainly not a pro at this stuff, so I'm looking for one that is easy to use. Any ideas? ---->Coach7

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi coachthere seems to be a multitude of programs available, both freeware and payware available ( that decision would be your choice ) but like most things, its a combination of programs and the time to learn them. i prefer to use AS&D ( no sniggering pls ;0) .. ) and FSDS V1.6b and V2.ive had some good results as a new scenery maker but its been a slef taught learning curve, still, thats half the fun.id say, try the freeware but if you have the budget, dont discount payware.i am currently making airfields for friends studying thier PPL here in australia with FS2K2.as ive stated, i use AS&D and FSDS and am happy with it in general even tho the manuals are not upto scratch.good luck and keep an open mind with the software you decide with.Jeff ( sapper42 )

Well I would guess that FSDS would be the easiest to use but as I use3DSMax (and Maya) out in the real world I use gmax as I find it has all the tools I need for doing meshes. That haveing been said FSDSver2 still would be a good choice but I find that for some reasonmy meshes are still more frame rate friendly using 3DSmaxgamx.I am looking into why as FSDS ver2 is supposed to use the newerbgl's that gmax out puts. Also stay away from macros!! although people will argue with me on this they KILL frame rates. Dan

There is not a real all in one program, you always need at least two programs. One to create your 3D objects and one to place them and make the rest of the scenery.For the 3D objects I would advise GMax (that comes with Fs2002) or otherwise FSDS (might be a bit easier to use, but is payware).For the other parts of the scenery Airport (www.airportforwindows.com), GroundMaker (www.groundmaker.org) or FSSC (avsim.com/fssc) are good choices. Each of these tools have some good and some less good points, but I think they all are good for making the scenery (and they are all freeware). ASD isn't that good anymore as it is not updated anymore.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Hi,Yes the fact about 3rd party design tools is that many of them are great but unfortunatly they do not have all the features one can get from hand coding. Also many of those tools use old FS scenery technology based polygons, lines and macros and that are starting to disapear with the new versions of FS. Its always better to use many different tools at once to achieve what you want. I personally use Architect2002 but I also reocommande FSSC. I used to like Groundmaker allot however there was no new versions since FS2000 for this program. So try to use many tools at once. As for 3D objects I recommand that you avoid macros and old style objects for FS2002. Gmax and Library object method is very FPS friendly in FS2002CheersMichel