Sign in to follow this  
Guest smithf

Excluding Default Roads

Although I have been doing photoreal for quite some time, I am new to VTP and LWM design. I have been able to draw in a section of I-15 near my home that MS didn't have remotely close to its actual location. I would now like to remove the default roads and replace them with ones that are closer to reality. (As real as it gets, right?)My question is how do you exclude the default roads, rivers, lakes, etc.? I have found threads that talk about excluding these items, but they say that you need to do it without any instruction to the newbie :-newbie (me) on how to exclude them.Are there any tutorials, instructions, or other information on how to exclude these items?ThanksFrank Smith

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Frank.VTP polys and lines are neatly excluded by using a program called by Christian Fumey.It requires FSUIPC and the sim needs to be in a flight. You can slew, or you can fly, as far as I can tell. You may need to find the runtime VB6 files, if you don't have them installed.Common Layer numbers are:4 Airport skirtings8 Shorelines ( beaches )16 Streams31 Dirt and Minor roads32 Major roadsAfter running, the 'DefArea.ASM' file is the ASM code, if you need to alter it or used parts of it for inclusion in other VTP ASM code.'DefArea.bgl' should be renamed to some other name ( 'aaa1VTPDeletes.bgl' ? ), so you don't get confused as the amount of BGLs pile up over time. Drop the BGL into a project folder, and the bad roads go away.Why 'aaa1...bgl? To make sure the BGL gets processed at the start of the project folder's datastream... before you add your own good roads. You don't want to delete your own roads after you place them, and the datastream in a project's "scenery" folder starts alphanumerically with the different BGLs.------------------Lakes are a different animal. You'll need to study the FS2002 SDKs, and maybe my [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=lwmtut.zip&Author=&CatID=Root|LWM tutorial]. [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=tdfcalc3.zip&Author=&CatID=Root]TdfCalc3 will also help give you the data needed to construct LWM BGLs.To eliminate lakes, you just turn them into land. We do have problems with elevations of reclaimed lakes, and there is no easy fix for that. Generally, we just live with the results. Hopefully FS2004 will fix that problem.DickDick

Thanks Dick.I appreciate the extent of your knowledge and your willingness to help those of us that are on the steep side of the learning curve. I learned more from your posts on the TB forum than from anyone else.Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!Frank Smith