Sign in to follow this  
arno

Animation

Flight Simulator keeps getting better and better thanks to all of the great designers (freeware & payware) who put in thousands of hours of programming. My compliments to all of you.I downloaded Simflyers sceneries and love it! There is alot of airport scenery animation...What would it take to program animated passengers, boarding and de-planing an aircraft? That would be neat, to be able to see animated passengers boarding the aircraft. Fausto (happycapt)

It's possible to program animated passenger but we must keep in mind the fact that most of the new and complex sceneries are already heavy frame eaters and the more "unnecessary" candies you add the slower they become. Humans are also very hard to model in 3d without wasting a huge number of polygons. Of course 2d humans would be much easier on frames but I don't know if they really make you feel like being there.Animations are by the way very slow to produce. I'm working on animated gates for our EFHK scenery by the moment. It takes a huge amount of time to model all the four different gate types of EFHK with 9 or 10 different animations to make them dock correctly for each aircraft type. Animations require very much work with the asm sources and it might take about 10 hours to make only one animation for one single gate.[table border=0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0][TR][TD]http://mikael.svly.net/mikael.gif[/TD][/TR][TR][TD]fisd.fsnordic.net][/TD][/TR][/TABLE

To make animations the easiest way is to use GMax. You can make them relatively easy in that program.Mikael is refering to changing the animations afterwards, to display them only in certain conditions (like a NAV2 freq is selected). For complex animations that can indeed require a lot of editing. I have make a tutorial about how to do that (click on the banner below to find it on my site).And about the passenger thing. I think if you use a 2D person with a RotateToAircraft command (that's a single plane that always rotates to the eye of the user), it will not cost too much frames and never looks flat :).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[a href=http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/banner.jpg[/a]

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog