Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scott Campbell

FSNav database rebuild after mesh install

Hi everyone,Is it necessary (or prudent) to rebuild ones FSNav database after installing mesh? Does it pick up any new elevation data?The reason I ask is that I just installed some freeware New Zealand mesh. The FSNav (limited) terrain elevation showed a mountain range at 4500' but I needed 5500' to clear it.Any ideas?Andy (YSCB)ps This mesh is fantastic by the way. I nearly fell off my chair when it loaded up! Full credit to Christian and available at http:scorpius.spaceports.com/~fergus

Guest Scott Campbell

Andy,Nope. Airports are still in the same location with the same altitudes. FSNav doesn't read the terrain, so there's nothing to gain.

Thanks Scott.Do you know how FSNav gets its terrain data?Andy (YSCB)

Guest Scott Campbell

Andy,I actually have no idea, but it's completely wrong. ;-) I think Helge uses some sort of really general topigraphical info. You'd have to ask him. I've always wondered given how wrong it is.

Yeah I agree... for the first year I used it, I based my cruise alt in the smaller planes using the terrain info in FSNav. Half of my flights ended with a boom and a hole in a mountainside. Its not too bad, but its nothing to rely on, ever. If youre going to use the terrain info, ALWAYS keep in mind that the little peaks are just a VERY general idea of how high the peaks are in that area.

Guest Scott Campbell

Todd,Yeah. A good example of that (besides every mountain in the Pac Northwest), is Pikes Peak. There's none in FSNav. There is, however, a 9300 foot peak dislayed to the North of it. Wouldn't want to rely on FSNav's terrain info in the clouds here. ;-) My routes from Californa to my airport (just East of Colorado Springs) takes me straight over the 12,000' mountaintop. Fortunately, I know it's there. ;-)

Hey Scott, what airport do you fly from in cali? I often do a flight from KFAT/Q60 to the Colorado Springs area.

Guest Scott Campbell

Todd,My GuardRail hubs are KSJC, SXR (KCOS), KSDF, and KMCO. I spend most of my time in San Jose and Colorado. I'm currently writing this from Sydney and/or New Zealand - island hopping ;-).Oh yes, and when I go to So. Califormia, I go to Montgomery (KMYF) a lot to the 94th Aerosquadron (for real and in sim).