Sign in to follow this  

Reflective textures with SCASM ?

Hi !I heard about a way making texture reflections with scasm.Does anyone know where to search in scasm docu ?Thx, Marijo

Hi Marijo as far as I know one can't add specular highlights to .bglsthe game's engine can not display specular highlights on bgl objects. Dan

Guest christian

You can! :)Dunno the corresponding SCASM commands though.Marijo, when you set the material colours, you have several arguments (read the SCASM docs). Setting the specular colour values and the specular power will give you specular highlight (even with textures). However, this will only work for the whole object. In most cases you'd want glossmaps as well to be able to specify which parts of the texture are glossy and which aren't. You can't do that really. You can specify a glossmap, but it's use is very limited:- you can't set the colour of the specular light, it'll always be white/grey.- It doesn't even use the Blinn / Phong models, but only takes the eye vector into account. To have realistic reflections you need a combination of eye and light (sun) vector though.- It doesn't work with textures of the type 'building', only type 'aircraft' works...If you are thinking of 'semi-real' reflections using environmental cubemaps forget it. All FS2002 can do is blend a specular colour over the diffuse map / texture and that's it.Cheers, Christian

I think the info is not in the SCASM doc, but when looking through the MASM include file lately I think it is well possible.In BGLC you use something like:TEXTURE_DEF TEXTURE_AIRCRAFT ..... ; normal textureTEXTURE_DEF TEXTURE2_REFLECTION .... ; reflection textureIf you have a look at the MASM include file to see which number TEXTURE2_REFLECTION maps to (it's something like 256 or 512) then you can use that for the texture class in SCASM. Then it should work I guess (I haven't tested it yet). So the SCASM code would become something like:TextureList( 01 .... ; normal texture256 .... ; reflection textureArno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I stand corected(kinda) LOL I should have pointed out the "aircrat" work around but because I could never really get the effect I neededfor things like buildings(trust me I tried) and since "offically" the .bgl format does not really support things like speculargloss mapping kinda says to me anyway that no you can't. I am sorry to have caused any confusion with my rather quick responce. :-)

But I agree with you :). At first I planned to use it in my scenery, but I won't anymore.It only works with TEXTURE_AIRCRAFT, and therefore the quality of the texture on your building is also set with the aircraft slider. Besides that the effect looks nice on some windows, but is not as most will probably want it.So I would say it's better not to use in the scenery (MS didn't intend us to do it).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thx Dan, Christian and Arno ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Trying to make some plate-windows for my terminal. Whole scenery is now scasm made and I will give it a try ( still too lazy to get familiar with gmax :).Thanks, Marijo By the way : any interest in helping me to finish a "southeastern europe" scenery ? ;)