Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

Scenery Placement Question

Guest GabrielR

Hi, I have constructed in gmax a complex, but low poligon version of the terminal of my Native city airport. (SKBO). I am in the process of adding the Hangars, manteinance buildings etc. I want the aiport to be completed totally in gmax.I would like to add several details as Aircraft stairs, vehicles, etc all of them constructed in gmax. even the taxiway signs. the problem is the following, I locate the coordinates of the objects to be placed in FS, how do I translate this in gmax? I can barely do trial and error to have the complex gmax escene to fit every element in place or build several blg's from single objects to be placed in an airport.Do I have to use another software to place the escenery different than Gmax and the MakeMDL and convert the objects into Macros? If I do so, the Scenery would lost its "gmax only" characteristic?Any Answer or link would be appreciated, the scenery is well completed and it will be a very good attempt to recreate the airport. It will have some very nice features.

Arno has taught that compiling all the structures in one gmax file forces a single entry for refpoint which means the scenery will run less efficiently. I suspect this impact becomes insignificant for small airfields. I've been building smaller airfields myself and I see no discernable difference in fps between my Elms, done entirely in GMAX and placed as a single compile into fs2k2, or Bowerman, done with gmax structures compiled into a library file and placed using individual macros (using fssc as the placing program).I will say that its a lot easier using just gmax. You seem to be asking how to line up the gmax imagry with the fs? Is that right? I assume you are working now with an entire gmax airport you expect to compile once into fs.The trick here is to understand that the makemdl will ask you for a lat/long entry, which will correspond to the 0,0 point in the top down view in GMAX. I can think of a number of ways to purposely set up ur gmax work so that the 0,0 point is a known lat/long. Perhaps the runway ends are easiest...even if you don't plan to add a runway, put a box representing the runway exactly in terms of length, width, and angle, and set one end at the o,o....its easy in fs2k2 to use top down view and place the aircraft in fs2k2 at the end of choice. use the slew to read off the lat/long. Now that's what ur'll enter also in makemdl. compile ur file and assure yourself that the runway from gmax sits right where you really want the runway. If so, the gmax is now referenced well...all you have to do is place all other structures in gamx properly with respect to the gmax "runway". Once you like the referecing, just delete the gmax runway!

Guest GabrielR

Yes I have lined up the main terminal using the method similar that the one you referenced above. When we read in the readme files of scenery add ons "done entirely in gmax" I think that this is similar to better performance. Is this true?If I use a program to place the escenery, like this FSSC (payware, freeware??) will I enhance or degrade the performance of the scenery?