Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

How to make light at an airport

Hi allI'm making an airport and I'm wondering how to make lights. I have tried FSregen, but i can't do it. Ok I can see lights on the lightpoles, but not on the ground and in the air. Can anyone help me with this? It is probably easy to do so please help me!Thomas

GMAX understands certain part names are supposed to produce effects. Most of these are for aircraft design, a few work for scenery too. One is the landing light. If you have a model of a lightpole, to make it light:Create a simple shape, a triangle, and put the normal in the approximate direction of the light. and apply the edit mesh modifier. make another triangle, edit mesh modifier, and link the two.Now make the material, Give it a diffused color, and I like to give it self illumination also. Name it light_land_filename. apply the material to both triangles. now go to "heirarchy", click on adjust pivot only, and make the z axis angle slightly from direct normal. You should see a beam of light that will light up on default, or custom textures from resample.exe.Bob Bernstein

Thanks for your help, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it.The only thing i see in FS is a little white spot where i placed the triangle and thats it.any other suggestionsThomas

if u want to send me the model, I'd be happy to look at it. It can be a bit fiddly.bob.bernstein@attbi.comB

Guest GabrielR

Hi, I you handle a little bit of Gmax, follow the great tutorial on landing light in this site. Describes an aircraft landing light, but it applies also to scenery. http://thegreatptmd.tripod.com/to have it off during the day, follow Arno's instructions in the link above... I can't believe I'm answering questions here!!

The only thing missing from the tutorial is that you have to give the triangles an edit mesh modifier. I can't make mine light unless I do that.Bob B

Again - Thanks everyone. I found out how to "turn" on the light. But it seems like it only lighten up the ground surface. I can't see other things.But maybe that's just the limits of GMAX/FS2K2!Thomas

Guest GabrielR

Yes, you're right, it only iluminates the ground. Don't know how to display the light cone yet, I think it is a limitation of FS-GMAX. With very low visibility it can be seen though.